Author Topic: Engine oil  (Read 1412 times)

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
Re: Engine oil
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2008, 03:31:08 PM »
I feel the need to gouge my eyes out after trying to read two pages of this crap.

Jesus H. Christ, your education system is desperately in need of a large overhaul.

Too true.

I like you.  If you knew how many times public school board officials here spend their time to vote on increasing their salaries and bonuses instead of on issues that would help the kids, you might want to publicaly lynch them like me.

I think you have what we would call "an idea from a Hollywood movie" or two.  I'm not a pro, but I have seen engines seize up in my life (*spits & curses*).  There is minimal to zero "grace" time after the engine oil pressure cuts out (0) and the engine seizes. 

One, and probabley the best example I can think of for you to understand, was an inline-4-banger on my brother's '88 Honda accord (dinky weaksauce engine compared to a V12 AC monster-of-a-beast-of-an-engine).  He had just entered a long uphill tunnel and noticed his oil guage was just bottoming out as we went in to it, and overheating was already occuring (between normal and max).  Tunnels don't have shoulders, and especialy at night (which it was) are not ideal to pull your car over in, so he decided to try and make it for the end and the nearest open shoulder, I agreed with him.  By the time we got to the end of the tunnel (less than a 1/4 of a mile and not very long to get to at ~45 mph) engine temperature was beyond the temperature guage max limit and we were about 200ft from the nearest open shoulder, right as we made pulled off the pavement, *clank* engine seized up.  Was the end to a good car with a ton of miles on that engine. 

I'll leave to you the comparison of how much abuse an old inline-4 made by honda in 1988 for a car can take compared to a V12 made by Rolls-Royce in 1940 for a high-performance fighter aircraft.

My brother felt aweful about killing it, he was only 17 or 18 at the time and wasn't watching his guages as well as he should of.  I reasured him it wasn't as much his fault as he thought it was.  It was an old engine with tons of miles on it (had over 280k), so it was likely near the end anyways.  I also told him that he probabley was watching his guages, but none of us really know how long or how fast the car was loosing oil pressure at the time, but it was true he didn't catch it until it was just hitting zero.  Most importantly though, I told him he caught it before the problem occured, but due to the condition of the road at the time we had to push onward to a safe stopping point, and any crash/wreck/busted-down-car you walk away from safely is a good one.

OMG, there are toooooo many. :O :cry
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2008, 05:34:44 PM »
Oh c'mon!, 7 out of how many words wrong?  Do I at least get extra points for being too lazy to use the spellchecker on that one?  And if you think that's bad you should see one of my posts where I know I abused the English language and still was too lazy to run a spellchecker.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline A.F. Crash, Fire, Rescue

• Copper Member
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2008, 05:49:53 PM »
Oh c'mon!, 7 out of how many words wrong?  Do I at least get extra points for being too lazy to use the spellchecker on that one?  And if you think that's bad you should see one of my posts where I know I abused the English language and still was too lazy to run a spellchecker.

:lol :lol :lol
91st Bomb Group(Heavy) "The Ragged Irregulars"
Fire Protection Journeyman, USAF Fire Protection
Operation Iraqi Freedom, Jan. 08-May-08
"Protecting Those Who Defend Freedom"
If you can't stand the heat, then become a cop.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2008, 05:53:51 PM »
*Sniffs the bait*

*Walks Away*
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline P1Tiger

• Copper Member
      • VMF-214 'Black Sheep'
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2008, 05:54:40 PM »
ok this topic is over, ill have it skuzzyfied
VMF-214'Black Sheep' here since tour 93.

http://www.VMFBlackSheep214.webs.com

"It was war. We were defending our country. We had a strict code of honor: you didn't shoot down a cripple and you kept it a fair fight."
— Captain Wilfrid Reid 'Wop' May, RFC

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2008, 06:42:14 PM »
  i usually dont make sense when im aggravated,

You must be aggravated  :lol
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.