Author Topic: Fiat G.55 Centauro  (Read 850 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: Fiat G.55 Centauro
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2008, 11:45:41 AM »
I think the CR.42 needs adding before anything else for the Italians, especially for scenarios.  Wasn't that the most numerous type used by Italy during WWII? 

No, it was the most numerous "produced" in Italian air force history. However at the start of the war they only had less than 150 of 'em in frontline squadrons, and they only flew 1 raid on the RAF in the BOB as far as I recall, before being recalled to the MTO. They were outclassed. LW planes couldn't keep formation with them because they were so slow. RAF biplanes bested them much of the time. Their kill record was abyssmal in every theater. There they were relegated to mostly troop-strafing in Africa with their light MG armament. Most of them were used as trainers. The G.50 and C.200 were the real frontline fighters for the early war, with the C.202 arriving in 1942 (I think? late 1941 maybe?)

They were pretty much useless, even compared to other biplanes. They tried to make them into trainers, even night fighters, but they couldn't even catch their targets so after all is said and done, of the 1700, very few were front line fighters, and only for a short period of time.

The C.200 & G.50 are both more important than the G.55 IMO.

I agree! I like the G.55 and wouldn't say "no" to it, but I think the C.200 or the G.50 are more relevant to scenario use.

Offline glock89

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2008, 01:48:38 PM »
No, it was the most numerous "produced" in Italian air force history. However at the start of the war they only had less than 150 of 'em in frontline squadrons, and they only flew 1 raid on the RAF in the BOB as far as I recall, before being recalled to the MTO. They were outclassed. LW planes couldn't keep formation with them because they were so slow. RAF biplanes bested them much of the time. Their kill record was abyssmal in every theater. There they were relegated to mostly troop-strafing in Africa with their light MG armament. Most of them were used as trainers. The G.50 and C.200 were the real frontline fighters for the early war, with the C.202 arriving in 1942 (I think? late 1941 maybe?)

They were pretty much useless, even compared to other biplanes. They tried to make them into trainers, even night fighters, but they couldn't even catch their targets so after all is said and done, of the 1700, very few were front line fighters, and only for a short period of time.

I agree! I like the G.55 and wouldn't say "no" to it, but I think the C.200 or the G.50 are more relevant to scenario use.
Sm.79 would make a nice touch.
Fear and death in the wings, in thrall of those fallen from grace
Petty is as petty does, witness the mass disgrace.

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2008, 12:39:01 AM »
Hell yes for an uber Italian plane and another yes for a re-modelled C2.
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline Adonai

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2008, 12:19:42 PM »
I think the CR.42 needs adding before anything else for the Italians, especially for scenarios.  Wasn't that the most numerous type used by Italy during WWII? 

The C.200 & G.50 are both more important than the G.55 IMO.

Forget it, yes G.50 might be ok for early war, assuming you add polish, french planes to the game - however being mostly a Late War game,
G.55 would get more flight then Both g.50 and C.200 combined - Who really wants to fly a 300mph bird in late war arena?

I am simply looking at G.55 as a primary Late war / FSO / Snapshot arena plane that would get pretty credible use out of it.
C.200 + G.50 would not be flown in Early War fact of matter most will still simply fly the Hurri-C, yes both would be nice to add to the game
only once the majority of the other aircraft are added, i.e HE-111, Hs-129 - only until they add polish fighters, and early war Russian fighters,
these should be added.

My opinion however, I am looking at this as what plane would BEST be used, if added - but if the G.55 only had a main tank and not DT, would
probably get used much as the C.205, simply no range to do anything, and in terms a hanger banger.

Offline glock89

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2008, 01:47:04 PM »
Forget it, yes G.50 might be ok for early war, assuming you add polish, french planes to the game - however being mostly a Late War game,
G.55 would get more flight then Both g.50 and C.200 combined - Who really wants to fly a 300mph bird in late war arena?

I am simply looking at G.55 as a primary Late war / FSO / Snapshot arena plane that would get pretty credible use out of it.
C.200 + G.50 would not be flown in Early War fact of matter most will still simply fly the Hurri-C, yes both would be nice to add to the game
only once the majority of the other aircraft are added, i.e HE-111, Hs-129 - only until they add polish fighters, and early war Russian fighters,
these should be added.

My opinion however, I am looking at this as what plane would BEST be used, if added - but if the G.55 only had a main tank and not DT, would
probably get used much as the C.205, simply no range to do anything, and in terms a hanger banger.
Love to see the Hs-129 and polish planes be added. Re.2005 would be nice 3x20 2 machine guns 390mph. :aok :aok

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2008, 03:12:52 PM »
YES!!!! thats all.
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Operator
United States Marine
"Stay ahead of the game, Stay ahead of the plane."

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2008, 05:12:08 PM »

Yeah, while we are at it, lets remove all Spitfires apart from the XVI, XIV and add the 21.  After all, late war uberness over historical useage is more important, right mr 'FA/18' (sic) pilot?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 05:13:41 PM by Furball »
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline glock89

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2008, 06:03:43 PM »
Yeah, while we are at it, lets remove all Spitfires apart from the XVI, XIV and add the 21.  After all, late war uberness over historical useage is more important, right mr 'FA/18' (sic) pilot?
:lol :lol

Offline Boozeman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2008, 05:47:19 AM »

Nah, thats a bit exaggerated, don t you think? Any Spit from the V on is quite competetive in the LWAs thanks to their dual hispanos and thier turn capabillities. C.200 and G.50 are nowhere near that effective. They are just as weakly armed as the C.202, with an even worse flight perfomance.
Given the fact that the C202 is barly used in any arena, it's pretty obvious that all the effoert put into modeling these would be almost for nil, at least I cant see HTC adding these planes to have them featured in 1-2 scenarios per year...

As said before the only realistic chance of being added has the G.55 and to a much lesser extent the Re.2005.

But back to the G.55, I dont know wether they had an option for DTs, but I do know that the internal fuel tank can hold much more fuel than the one of the C205. I dont have the exact numbers right now, but IIRC it should hold about 50% more, which would give the G.55 quite a good range.   

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2008, 11:12:45 AM »
No, it was the most numerous "produced" in Italian air force history. However at the start of the war they only had less than 150 of 'em in frontline squadrons, and they only flew 1 raid on the RAF in the BOB as far as I recall, before being recalled to the MTO.
What?
At the start of the war, the Regia Aeronautica had 200 CR42's, 177 CR32's, 88 G.50's, and 77 C.200's. The CR.42 was by far the most numerous aircraft available at the beginning of the war. And that 1 raid... was one of the only flown by the RA in the BoB, period.
Italian pilots liked the CR.42. Though this is probably more due to the success they had with it during the SCW than anything else .