Author Topic: Building a 3 LED cap for freetrack?  (Read 1550 times)

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Building a 3 LED cap for freetrack?
« on: October 30, 2008, 11:41:21 AM »
I'm curious about building a cap to check it out. They're are some nice prebuilts out there but I thought it would be a fun project to show my son a bit about building "gadgets". It's been awhile since i've messed with this stuff so I'm a bit rusty on calculating stuff. If I was super serious I'd run it off a USB port but dont want to risk the MB. Guessing wither a 1.2V AA or a 9V as a power source and what ever 5mm LED's I can get at radioshack. I ran a search but couldnt ferret out a thread with actual nuts and bolts. I'm going to cruise by the local RS at lunch and see what I can find available for LCD's...once I have that then I can work back to the PS.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
Re: Building a 3 LED cap for freetrack?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 12:44:26 PM »
If I were to do mine again, I'd probably change the power source.  I'd go with the AA since they offer high mah ratings than a 9v battery does.  I haven't used my FreeTrack enough that I haven't worn out a 9V yet (maybe 3 hours on current battery).  But my 9v is down to 8.5volts (alkaline).  9v's run about 9.5-9.6 when they are new.  I do not know how low of a voltage the battery will go before I lose function in the LEDs.

Rechargeables may be the way to go for a battery source.  I do not like a power pack/USB cord idea since I don't want the wires.

These are the IR's I got at Radio Shack:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062565&cp=&sr=1&kw=infrared+led&origkw=infrared+led&parentPage=search

I helped a friend build a 1 point FreeTrack setup which works great and was easier to construct, you just don't get the 6 degrees of movement (you get 2).  I.e. you can't roll your head nor can you move in the cockpit side to side/front back/up down.  He didn't play AH but used it in games like ARMA.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 01:30:12 PM »
yup I just bought 3 of those LED's...they are 1.2v 29mA. Technically you could run them in parallel on a 1.2V AA rechargable but I'm going to run a 1/8w 10 ohm resistor on each leg so they will work with 1.5V AA as well.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline 633DH98

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 02:03:29 PM »
How did you figure the 10ohm resistor?  I don't see the LED resistance listed on the Radio Shack web page.   :confused:
DecoyDuc  2 Nov 2008 - 16 Nov 2008  RIP

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 03:06:17 PM »
I can't recall what the resistance is, but it is listed on the packaging of the LEDs.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 03:57:01 PM »
The resistor's job is to modify the power that reaches the LED's. Technically a 1.2/1.2 circuit wont need one in theory but in practice you dont want a 100% max load. So if your using a 1.2V rechargable then a 1/8w 2.2 ohm resistor would be plenty. The 10 ohm allows use of a 1.5v AA battery as well. Now if you used a 9V then you'd need a 200 ohm resistor and run the 3 leds in serial vs parallel. I used to be able to do it in my head but a lot of little utlities that do it if you know the variables. I used the one on the freetrack site.

Offline potsNpans

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 06:53:08 PM »
http://www.free-track.net/english/ Freetracker has a led assembly calculator on their site which can assist in selecting power source and resistors to be used

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 10:27:44 PM »
The important parameter for an LED is current.  The resistor is chosen to set that current.  Here's an example calculation for a 5V supply.

V = voltage across the resistor = 5V - 1.2V(the voltage across the LED) = 3.8V.  Now V=IR so R=V/I.  I = 29mA = 0.029A.  So R = 3.8V/0.029A = 131 ohms.  Nearest standard size is 130 ohm.  The required resistor power P = I^2*R = 0.029*0.029*130 = 0.109 Watt, so a 1/8 watt resistor would be OK. 

You can see from this formula that using a 1.2V supply without some kind of constant current source would be problematic.  You can't just hook up a 1.2V LED to a 1.2V battery without some current limiting resistor; it could fry.