Author Topic: CH Combatstick Mod (I need your help)  (Read 607 times)

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
CH Combatstick Mod (I need your help)
« on: November 07, 2008, 03:17:16 PM »
I'm looking to mod a trim knob onto my CH Combatstick so I can use the axis for throttle, I'm guessing right where the big Grey button is.

Could anyone be so kind as to tell me how I would go about doing this. I’m hoping our resident stick modder Homeboy is still around to give me a few tips. :D

edit: I can take the trim knob off my X-52 as it's just sitting around.

Regards, Kazaa.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 03:21:24 PM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: CH Combatstick Mod (I need your help)
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 03:26:42 PM »
hey thats my lovely Stick!!

*Kisses
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 03:40:40 PM »
hey thats my lovely Stick!!

*Kisses

I stole your stick while you are at work. muhahahaha.

Offline HomeBoy

• Nickel Member
      • HomeBoy's Inventions
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 10:59:16 AM »
The easiest way to do what you describe would be to replace the red thumb button with a pot.  You would not be able to easily modify the large gray button up in the head because it is mounted to a circuit board that all the other buttons up in that part of the stick are mounted to.

Once you remove the red thumb button, there is enough room to fit the throttle-wheel pot there.  I've done that before and it actually has a pretty natural feel to it.  Mount a fairly standard radio knob on it and you can roll it with your thumb quite naturally.  Radio Shack sells a package of knobs that work quite well for what I'm describing.

Hope that helps.  Good luck
-mark
The Hay Street Boys

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 01:34:24 PM »
Mark you’re a star, you have saved me so much hassle sir, any chance you have a picture or two of the finished product?

One more question, where would I be wiring/soldering the throttle-wheel pot to exactly and would I need any other third party parts apart from the pot? If you could link the parts I would be In your debt.

I'll be buying you drinks if we ever meet at an AH2 convention.

<S>

« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 02:08:47 PM by Kazaa »

Offline HomeBoy

• Nickel Member
      • HomeBoy's Inventions
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 03:13:25 PM »
I doubt the star part but I'm glad to help.

Sorry, the stick I did with the thumb wheel on it was for a customer and I never took any pictures.  Once you get the idea though, it really is not very difficult.

You can actually do this without any soldering.  Open up the base of the stick (hint:  there are screws under the rubber feet) and remove the three wires leading to the throttle pot.  Then remove the throttle pot which you'll be using.  Find three wires of similar gauge and fish them up through to stem that leads up into the handle.  You can then cut the connectors off that plugged into the throttle pot and as long as you cut them back far enough, you can strip the insulation off and reuse them once you relocate the pot.  Connect the wires that you originally connected to the pot to your new wires and you will have the wiring part done.  What you're basically doing is adding an extension to the pot wires as they will be too short to run up into the handle far enough.  All you're really doing is relocating the throttle to where your thumb button is now.

I recommend you use some epoxy putty to mount the pot into the thumb button socket once you remove the thumb button.  I use QuikPlastik but any kind of epoxy putty should work.  Make a donut of putty and set it around the edge of the pot and mash it into place.  Once the putty hardens, it will form a very nice and stable mount.  Before the putty dries, you can use a knife and trim off the putty that squeezes through and smooth it out nicely.  Once dry, you can use some flat black paint and paint around where the shaft of the pot sticks out and it will look very professional.

As for what to do with the thumb button, that's your call.  You could just cut the wires off and do without the button altogether.  Or you could find some sort of button and mount it somewhere on your stick if you want to keep it.  That's all up to you.  If there is room, you could just leave the button connected and stuff it away somewhere inside the stick.  That's a pretty lame way to do it but if you're really lazy that would work.

If you haven't already, you can look through all the photos I have at my web site (see my signature).  I have a number of pictures of the internals of these sticks.  Once you open your stick up though you should be able to figure out what you need to do.

Wish you luck.  Let me know if you have any further questions and I'll do my best to help.
The Hay Street Boys

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 06:15:25 PM »
Thank you sir for being so clear in your explanation, I'll take the stick apart when it arrives and root around inside to see what can be done.

<S>, Kaz.

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 12:02:41 PM »
The CH Combatstick arrives Tuesday, this should give me ample time to get everything together. :aok

Great call for the placement of the control knob Homeboy, it should indeed feel very natural where the thumb button would originally be. I'm hoping that I can recycle the thumb button into  a second pinkey button.

Regards, Kazaa <S>
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 12:05:43 PM by Kazaa »