Author Topic: Logitech WingManŽ Strike Force 3D - any impressions?  (Read 923 times)

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Logitech WingManŽ Strike Force 3D - any impressions?
« on: January 24, 2001, 01:26:00 PM »
 Did anyone play with it? How does it compare to, say MS SW PPro?

miko

TheWobble

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2001, 01:39:00 PM »
After the experences I have had with logitech joysticks ESPECALLY their online support, I would NEVER by a logitech stick.

1) if the stick gets a bad pot they will NOT send you any
2) if you tell them that you opened the stick to check the pots they will tell you you have voided warranty and wont do ANYTHING for you, and will say that is your fault for "tampering with the device"
3) their phone support is LONG DISTANCE and they will put you on hold for at least 15 min (had happened to me 6 times)
4) You CANNOT e-mail them with questions, they have this wierd problem fillout sheet you can do and then they just send you a automated reply telling you to make sure its plugged in and then to try it on another computer (they blame you)
5) their software is almost impossible to remove from your system
6) so far i have seen about a 50/50 chance of getting a stick with problems

Just avoid them IMO.

Offline BigGun

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2001, 03:07:00 PM »
I have had the stick for less than a year & have no problems. From the other post, sounds like I better not need customer support. To date, I like it and it works fine.

second thought I am not sure my is a strikeforce...it is a 3d digital stick

[This message has been edited by BigGun (edited 01-24-2001).]

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2001, 03:20:00 PM »
When I got my P3-600 computer, my game port joystick would not work with it.  I went out and bought a Logitech Wingman Extreme 3d USB and used that.  Other than its butt-ugly appearance, I was pretty happy with the stick.

UNTIL... about two months after I got it, it began severely spiking.  I replaced it with a MS Precision Pro and have not had a problem since.

AKDejaVu

edan

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2001, 03:28:00 PM »
I bougth the TOPIC stick for last Christmas,
just to improve to a USB device.
(I had before, and still, a venerable CH F16 Combatsick, 4 years old.)
I checked it for about 3 days. Configure it in every possible way, tried it with AH, WBs, CFS2....
NO WAY, it is a porked device.
I returned it to the shop after the three days, got my money back and kept my venerable,reliable and thrusty CH.
Out.

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2001, 04:59:00 PM »
 Thanks for the reply, guys, but...

I know all the bad stuff about their previous sticks. Original Saitek was bad but the new USB Saitek is apparently great, even though it uses pots.
 Can't always rely on the past history...

The logitech model I am specifically interested in is their most recent release, may not even have pots anymore. Has anyone used that one (Logitech WingManŽ Strike Force 3D)?

miko

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2001, 06:26:00 PM »
I bought that EXACT stick because I have 2 computers.  I wanted similar sticks on each.  I currently use a Logitech Wingman Extreme Digital 3d with no problems.  I bought the Strike Force 3d because the layout is similar.

IT SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!  I took it back the next morning.  The thing had about 1/2 inch of slack in the middle.  It spiked like crazy.  The force feedback response was anything but smooth.  (Felt very rough.)  In addition the force feedback would turn itself off in AH if you didn't move the stick for 10 seconds.

Do not buy this stick, it truely qualifies as the worst purchase I ever made.

------------------
bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2001, 09:01:00 AM »
After my MS Sidewinder Precision Pro expired after a couple years, I bought a Logitech Wingman Force 3D (using USB), my first force feedback stick.  I like it fine except I miss the larger secondary fire button on the Sidewinder.  No problems after several months using it extensively.  
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline AcId

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2001, 09:29:00 AM »

force feedback would turn itself off in AH if you didn't move the stick for 10 seconds.
bloom25- I have also experienced the FF shutoff problem but am not convinced that it is Logitechs' fault being that my stick is a MS ForceFeedback 2 with the same issue.

------------------
My other computer is a 4,000 node Beowulf cluster.

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2001, 09:54:00 AM »
OK now that you have heard stories of bad customer support from Logitech, lemme reiterate my stories of great tech support from them.

Since I started simming in late 1996, I have always used a Logitech Wingman Extreme.  I like the ergonomic feel of them and I also like the VERY heavy base that keeps it from moving around on my computer desk.  Just a little under 1 year of use on my first one, I broke off the plastic hat I used for views.

I filled out an online form to get an RMA number and then boxed up my stick and sent it in.  In the meantime, I bought another one of those sticks (they were only like $40) to keep my addiction going while the other stick was away.  In about 2 weeks, Logitech sent me a BRAND SPANKING NEW stick to replace the one that broke.

I used the other stick until one of the buttons went (1 1/2 years) and then sent that one back in.  Fortunately I had a stick in reserve  

Since they no longer made the Wingman Extreme they sent me the replacement model the Wingman Extreme Digital.  It had two modes of operation, normal analog mode like the old Wingman Extreme and a digital mode which emulated the CH Products Flightstick Pro.  This REALLY benefitted me since I had CH Pedals and a CH Pro Throttle.  

Not once did Logitech hassle me about returning their products and instead of fixing a problem, they preferred to just replace the joystick.

Just wanted to reiterate another story of Logitech  

-Ding

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2001, 10:19:00 AM »
 Thanks, guys.
 Just was tempted by that second hat. I will keep my optical MS SW PPro for now.

miko

SwampRat

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2001, 10:37:00 AM »

Originally posted by miko2d:
Did anyone play with it? How does it compare to, say MS SW PPro?

miko

It's Garbage!  <<<Biased by years using MSSidewinder FF Pro.  Had the Logitech stick on computer for about 2 hours, stuck the old worn out MS stick back on and traded Logitech in on MSFF2 the next day.

edan

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2001, 01:55:00 PM »
BTW milko, later with my money back from the returned Logitech 3D Strike Force y got a last model Saitek Cyborg 3D Gold USB.
Very Good. Improved my aiming with the twist feature for the rudder.
Is little harder then th CH but I like it.
And as it was cheaper the Logitec

TheWobble

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2001, 03:41:00 PM »
yup, thats what i got cyborg gold, LOVE IT.