Author Topic: Graphics card being allowed to overheat by Nvidia Control panel.  (Read 1175 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Re: Graphics card being allowed to overheat by Nvidia Control panel.
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 11:18:42 PM »
Seems a lot of Nvidia cards fans only start at 30%. The moment I noticed this I found a good fan controlling program(Riva Tuner in this case) and made it push it to 100% at all time.

Nvidia cards are all set from the factory at about 30% constant fan speed.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2008, 11:34:43 PM »
Nvidia cards are all set from the factory at about 30% constant fan speed.

Just seems like a bad idea to me, for example my 8800GT. When someone buys an 8800GT they're most likely going to be doing some heavy gaming or maybe rendering. Either way something GPU intensive. That being that situation, why would you set the fan at only a constant 30% which is almost never enough to cool it for what it's going to be doing. It's just asking for unaware people to fry their cards without knowing it. Either way thats my 2-cents.
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 12:14:59 AM »
Just seems like a bad idea to me, for example my 8800GT. When someone buys an 8800GT they're most likely going to be doing some heavy gaming or maybe rendering. Either way something GPU intensive. That being that situation, why would you set the fan at only a constant 30% which is almost never enough to cool it for what it's going to be doing. It's just asking for unaware people to fry their cards without knowing it. Either way thats my 2-cents.
The fan shouldn't always stay at 30%.  I think Wingnutt has a software or hardware glitch possibly preventing proper fan control on his card.  My 8800 GTS varies its fan speed dependent on its load.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2008, 12:32:28 AM »
The fan shouldn't always stay at 30%.  I think Wingnutt has a software or hardware glitch possibly preventing proper fan control on his card.  My 8800 GTS varies its fan speed dependent on its load.

Mine didn't.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2008, 06:01:25 AM »

Same here, perhaps it just has to do with the fact that they are all 8800 series? That or maybe it's brand, I know I use EVGA and I'm pretty sure BaldEagl does to.
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline llama

• Silver Member
      • http://www.warrenernst.com/
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2008, 11:50:01 PM »
Same here, perhaps it just has to do with the fact that they are all 8800 series? That or maybe it's brand, I know I use EVGA and I'm pretty sure BaldEagl does to.

I know that EVGA had a card BIOS update in mid 2007 for the 8800GT that altered its fan speed settings. As I recall, the new BIOS is set with a fan speed of 30% to start, and then it will throttle up to 100% to keep the video card's temp in the mid 70's.

Different vendors are free to set their BIOSes the way they see fit.

-Llama

-Llama

Interesting server at 69.12.181.171

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2008, 12:19:30 PM »
My 8800 GTS 640mb is an EVGA circa Jan '07.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either