Author Topic: Randy 'Duke' Cunningham  (Read 702 times)

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
Re: Randy 'Duke' Cunningham
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 11:52:36 PM »
I love the Trinity Alps, some really good memories from that area.

As for conservative areas of the state, you forgot the entire central valley and almost anywhere that's not near the coast.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 11:13:38 AM »
I live one county over. I had some friends that were living in Trinity pines a few years back. They used a generator for power, and that was mainly to run the well pump. And no, they weren't growers.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 09:26:34 PM »
I live one county over. I had some friends that were living in Trinity pines a few years back. They used a generator for power, and that was mainly to run the well pump. And no, they weren't growers.

I keep telling people that's only in the southern part of the county.

I love the Trinity Alps, some really good memories from that area.

As for conservative areas of the state, you forgot the entire central valley and almost anywhere that's not near the coast.

Hopefully you don't have fond memories of a full lake up there and plan to visit it this year.  Supposed to hit it's minimal level this year they predict, it hasn't had a good rain season recharge it in years (minimal level = not empty, but to a point where if it gets any lower then the temperature of the water the dam discharges downriver will be too warm for the trout and salmon). 

I've spent a lot of time in the Alps up there too (I think there has only been 4-5 summers in my life that I haven't been up there for at least 2+ weeks), some really great trails and some killer mountains to tackle if you get the fancy.  When I was a wee-one my parents would take the family up there for vacation up by Coffee Creek and they're now planning to retire on the East Fork.  A lot is still the same, but there is a little of the new to mix in with the old nowadays (the first fastfood joint (a BK) in the county opened in Weaverville back in 2001).  If you like to hunt up there but haven't been there in a long time the state or feds established wild turkeys and they've been successful and the last few hunting seasons have had some good results (or so I've heard).  Another more-recent development in the county, and more appealing if you like to just trot around, there are a couple wineries up there now that make for a good afternoon visit and some great wine (they're quaint and enjoy the visitors (and potential customers), but are nowhere near the size, complexity, scale, or level of organization of the mega-super wineries found all over the state, so give them a call and make sure someone will be there to meet you (often, with a heads-up, it's the owner themselves) before making the drive out to visit them.).  If you know where Etna is (a bit of a drive to the north and into Siskiyou county, but another good afternoon trip) the little brewery there is still cranking out their addictively good brew (I'm making arrangements to marry a keg of their pale ale this summer).  I haven't eaten at the little bar-&-grill attached to it now, but I've heard from a couple of people recently that it's pretty good.  I personally only go there for the beer, usually to pick up a case or two of their finest (which is awesome IMO if you call ahead and time it right, you typically get to pay the brewer or his son directly for the beer you are purchasing, walk around the little (as big as one-man can handle on his own) brewery on a day they're brewing, and walk off with a case or two of some premium brew).

Back to some more increadibly-interesting-to-look-at-while-at-work California maps: Just when ya think ya had all the countys in the state figured out, the '08 election came along.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 09:32:28 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.