Author Topic: Build question - heatsink/cpu  (Read 345 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Build question - heatsink/cpu
« on: December 25, 2008, 01:05:04 PM »
Never seated a CPU before, and I thought from my reading here that its a given you always want to use a thermal compound between the cpu and heatsink, but -

I bought a dual-core E5200, which came with a circular heatsink/fan assembly.  On the bottom of the heatsink, which contacts the cpu, there are 3 small pads attached.   Don't you need a smooth-to-smooth surface when you are using thermal paste?

Also,the Intel instructions are picture-only, and don't depict the use of thermal paste.

Is this a case where I wouldn't use the paste?

Thanks help, hope to get back up and flying soon....

Offline falcon23

• Silver Member
Re: Build question - heatsink/cpu
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 01:53:27 PM »
The thermal paste on the heatsink you have will do the job..no need to use your own if you are going to use that..when you seat it,it will spread out as it is supposed too..

Just be careful and try not to pick it up once you have it pressed onto the CPU..follow the directions in the paperwork which came with it for more help...

Falcon23

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 02:42:18 PM »
What he said above.  You can pick the board up, just not by the fan and heatsink assembly

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 07:29:48 AM »
Ah, thanks guys.   Didn't realize that was compound already on the heatsink.   Makes sense though.

Many thanks!

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 11:15:32 AM »
I always thought that compound on the heatsink was not so good and had parafin in it. I always removed it and used Arctic silver.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 12:35:01 PM »
I always thought that compound on the heatsink was not so good and had parafin in it. I always removed it and used Arctic silver.
They used to but not any longer to my knowledge.  Yes Arctic Silver is one of the prefered thermal compounds (IMHO), I dont think the poster has to worry about heat in this case.  There will be maybe 2c change using Arctic Silver over the stock paste since he will still be using the Stock HSF