Author Topic: Looking to start Navy squad  (Read 1694 times)

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
Re: Looking to start Navy squad
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2008, 01:41:33 PM »
Selective....heck I when I was CO I just wanted someone who might be a warm body....to heck with selective...:D
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Pilot15

• Zinc Member
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2008, 01:48:26 PM »
Yeah Im not looking for the best players to start a squad with, just looking for people.. That fly off CVs. :P

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2008, 08:41:47 PM »
Just to chime in here on the squadron theme Pilot...I was in a squadron off and on for many years in other games and even in this one for a couple of years. Then I started my own when I saw a need to fill an old evolutionary role of putting VF-17 back into the game. In that 2-3 year time frame that I was the CO of VF-17, I can not tell you how many squadrons started and failed due to many different reasons. Heck VF-17 even started a long nose dive when I bailed on the game a couple of years ago and now thankfully someone has picked up the reigns and is willing to work hard to do what I had grown tired of doing.

Even if your idea is to have a younger group of guys within your squadron it will be more work than you can imagine. When I was CO of VF-17 I could count on playing no less than 10 hours a week minimum on top of my 50-60 hours a week at a job plus coming home and helping my wife around the house with the kids. I never logged on before 9/10pm and was off between 12/1am AFTER all my squadron members had logged off. IT WAS KILLER! We had more fun than I could imagine for those years.

HOWEVER two promotions at work, coaching youth sports and another kid (our 2nd we now have 3) killed AH for me. I lost the time and without the time and a 100% committed person to hand it off to the squadron tanked! Honestly if I ever come back I doubt it will be as a CO of anything other than the cartoon plane I am in at that time. I don't have time for it and don't know where the time would come from if I did come back to play regularly.

With that said IF you are dead set on starting a squadron then do it but prove us wrong when we say "you are going to fail". In proving us old timers wrong you better do the right thing and pick a great squadron to emulate and push the old traditions as far forward into the next group of flight simmers as possible. Otherwise take your time and pull down one of these offers to join and fly with someone for a while. Who knows you might have the itch to take over that squadron one day and they just might offer that up to you.

Personally I would like to see you help Tex01 (aka Whiteman) keep my old posting going strong. They need players that are willing to put it on the line several hours a week and move up within to be ready when the old guys at the top decide they have had enough. Best of luck to you in whatever you do.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2008, 05:46:01 PM »
Wish I had this much help when I joined. Seems to be falling on deaf ears. MMMM doughnuts.
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline TwinTail

• Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2008, 11:19:00 PM »
Tex i thought VF 17 was just you and your buddy? :)

Also...

BE LIKE ME...lone wolf, owning 1 noob after another.....b4buster is my prime target  :D
d-40 and d-11 easily out turn a spixteen
==*Top Gun*==
TwinTail

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2008, 11:32:49 AM »
b4buster is my prime target  :D

only when ya got 10K alt advantage on me  :lol
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2008, 12:38:31 PM »
Tex i thought VF 17 was just you and your buddy? :)

not any more :)

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2008, 06:53:45 PM »
Watch out for Tex01 and his cronies. :rofl
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline lagger86

• Nickel Member
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2008, 07:36:21 AM »