Author Topic: AVA Development Group  (Read 1660 times)

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
Re: AVA Development Group
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 08:20:17 AM »
Shane, Why are you just trying to stir the pot?

Fud,

Shane does make a valid point. Plus we're all used to being defensive taking issue with opposing viewpoints.
If we're going to make any progress we're going to have to listen to everybodys input. In fact he's correct it should be the Staff making the decisions. What would be nice though is if the all players felt their vocies were being heard and their ideas considered.
I'm not saying the staff hasn't done this in the past. I do think many people won't offer ideas or give their input because of all the purse fights. I'd just like to see a way where they can without getting their heads bashed in on the boards. Plus the truth is you have to stir the pot a little to get the ingrediants to mix. :aok
<S>

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2008, 08:40:18 AM »
Fud,

Shane does make a valid point. Plus we're all used to being defensive taking issue with opposing viewpoints.
If we're going to make any progress we're going to have to listen to everybodys input. In fact he's correct it should be the Staff making the decisions. What would be nice though is if the all players felt their vocies were being heard and their ideas considered.
I'm not saying the staff hasn't done this in the past. I do think many people won't offer ideas or give their input because of all the purse fights. I'd just like to see a way where they can without getting their heads bashed in on the boards. Plus the truth is you have to stir the pot a little to get the ingrediants to mix. :aok
<S>

I know  :lol
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2008, 10:48:41 AM »
This is too vague of a statement.  What exactly is the goal or focus? Why does it need to be formalized as opposed to being handled in the squad forums, cross-squad, to address the squad level isses (which  can have an impact on gameplay in the arena, positively or negatively?)

If it's for arena settings and planesets, then join the AvA staff, or continue in the AvA forum to present your views and opinions, just like anyone else.

Closed door meetings by a select few to determine the fate of the general AvA, beyond mutally agreeable inter-squad issues?  I'll pass.

Its a place for people to discuss their ideas for the AvA without the 7 page drama whinefests too many thrive on in here. Its not a secret closed door committee by any means.

Offline Odee

• Gold Member
      • 49th Fighter Group
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2008, 11:03:15 AM »
Shifty....  Check PM sir.
 :salute
~Nobodee~   Get Poached!
Elite: Dangerous ~ Cmd Odeed

http://www.luxlibertas.com/

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2008, 11:45:17 AM »
Its a place for people to discuss their ideas for the AvA without the 7 page drama whinefests too many thrive on in here. Its not a secret closed door committee by any means.

So it'll be open to *anybody?*   Then what's with the "representatives?"  Or even a need for "separate but equal?" As I said, most of the gameplay issues can be handled inter-squad.  Game settings are the perogative of the staff - hopefully they listen to our input (and they do at times.)

Or are you asking for a sub-forum or some sort of sticky thread like the axis/allied one from the war?  Think this would cut down on the drama? 

While I agree with the concept, it's already applied with the very fact of having our own AvA forum - you don't see EW/MW/Orange/Blue forums now do you?  I'm just not seeing anything other than a warm fuzzy atm in regards to this whatver. So it's good to hammer out the details, right? I always ask the hard questions. :aok

Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline republic

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2008, 12:07:58 PM »
Maybe just use it as another AvA forum but one where the staff the ability to moderate so we don't have 15 pages of stinky poo.
P-47 pilot

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2008, 12:13:43 PM »
Maybe just use it as another AvA forum but one where the staff the ability to moderate so we don't have 15 pages of stinky poo.

well, if we (people) refrained from posting on pages 5-15 those threads might not be so poo filled and stinky?  But that's the nature of forums - after the first few pages it usually goes downhill. :aok 

So many eyes and fingers pointed outwards when they should be focused inward.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2008, 12:18:36 PM »
So it'll be open to *anybody?*   Then what's with the "representatives?"  Or even a need for "separate but equal?" As I said, most of the gameplay issues can be handled inter-squad.  Game settings are the perogative of the staff - hopefully they listen to our input (and they do at times.)

Or are you asking for a sub-forum or some sort of sticky thread like the axis/allied one from the war?  Think this would cut down on the drama? 

While I agree with the concept, it's already applied with the very fact of having our own AvA forum - you don't see EW/MW/Orange/Blue forums now do you?  I'm just not seeing anything other than a warm fuzzy atm in regards to this whatver. So it's good to hammer out the details, right? I always ask the hard questions. :aok

The forum has existed for years for one thing and has been useful in the past. The idea behind it is not to solve squad issues but to have a forum for those intrested in better interaction with the Staff. To be able have a discussion without it turning in to the same old, same old.(seems like that has been mentioned already) This forum is a joke at the present time and its nice not to have to wade through the soap opera just to have a conversation. Thats why.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2008, 12:34:33 PM »
Shane, Why are you just trying to stir the pot?
Because it's his assigned job! :lol

I've had the same argument that Shane has, but I must admit the Development forum is a venue where someone can gain access,  propose a setup directly to the whole staff without the inevitable put-downs, and then request to be removed after the discussion is over. Too many people ask for access thinking they'll see some kind of inside information. Those guys ask to be removed pretty quickly unless another player brings a proposal.

So if you have an idea to contribute and want to avoid airing it in this forum, the Development forum is a better way to go over PMs and email. Is it needed, not really, but the Staff has the last word and as you see, Slash posted their view while I was writing this.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2008, 12:35:40 PM »
The forum has existed for years for one thing and has been useful in the past. The idea behind it is not to solve squad issues but to have a forum for those intrested in better interaction with the Staff. To be able have a discussion without it turning in to the same old, same old.(seems like that has been mentioned already) This forum is a joke at the present time and its nice not to have to wade through the soap opera just to have a conversation. Thats why.

So you're hoping to exclude or dilute the soap opera stars?  What's wrong with people using PM's to discuss things with staff?

The fact is, any open forum *will* have it's usual cast of characters. This is not unique this BBS or specific forum, either - it's the nature of the beast.  The real problem lies with those who cannot refrain from responding when they first see some post(er) they disagree with, or who has posted something off-topic or overboard.  Toss in the "us" vs "them" factor and well... you know?

I'm totally in agreement in wanting to see the AVA become used more than it has been, I just would like to see things detailed out so people (who pay the same $$)  won't feel that a select and exclusive group, outside of actuall "staff" is "in control."

Again, all of this is possible via the methods we have now.  Let me restate this:

So many eyes and fingers pointed outwards when they should be focused inward.

This goes for us all.

I don't see very often setups or settings being poo-filled posts (beyond the dar/icon settings.)  Most of the soap opera results from personality and perspective clashes in actual gameplay, i.e., how one flys/plays.  I'm fairly certain the only imperative from HTC in this is:  fly how you want to.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 12:41:10 PM by Shane »

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2008, 12:47:05 PM »
So you're hoping to exclude or dilute the soap opera stars?  What's wrong with people using PM's to discuss things with staff?

I've used PMs a few times, Keeps things more...tidy
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2008, 01:11:48 PM »
Quote from: Shane
I don't see very often setups or settings being poo-filled posts (beyond the dar/icon settings.)  Most of the soap opera results from personality and perspective clashes in actual gameplay, i.e., how one flys/plays.  I'm fairly certain the only imperative from HTC in this is:  fly how you want to.

This forum isn't moderated by the Staff, so you get a six page thread titled "AvA Suggestions" where the thread starter tries to get the posters to stop fighting over how they fly, and is told it's page 6 as if that makes it okay. That isn't going to happen in the Development forum. :noid
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2008, 01:24:47 PM »
This forum isn't moderated by the Staff, so you get a six page thread titled "AvA Suggestions" where the thread starter tries to get the posters to stop fighting over how they fly, and is told it's page 6 as if that makes it okay. That isn't going to happen in the Development forum. :noid

I'm getting really sick of these purse fights.  Why don't we have a moderator for the AvA forum?  It's gotten way out of hand over the past few days.

For that matter, I don't agree with the "squelch someone who's being an ass," perspective on channel 200.  People need to take responsibility for their actions.  And if they won't, we need a few people with muting power.

Flame away. :rolleyes:
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline republic

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2008, 01:37:28 PM »
I agree, i wish we had the ability to squelch forum ID's  :(
P-47 pilot

Offline Odee

• Gold Member
      • 49th Fighter Group
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2008, 04:32:42 PM »
...Why don't we have a moderator for the AvA forum?  It's gotten way out of hand over the past few days.

I'd hazzard a guess that it's the same reason the AvA is not on the low use server? 
~Nobodee~   Get Poached!
Elite: Dangerous ~ Cmd Odeed

http://www.luxlibertas.com/