Author Topic: Techniques for turning  (Read 1133 times)

Offline Joker312

• Nickel Member
Techniques for turning
« on: February 08, 2009, 01:03:03 PM »
I often wonder how other players manage to make what appears to be unbelievable turns in game.

I would like to hear from anyone what they do when turning with an enemy, i.e how do you use rudder and throttle, attitude, high G or low G, ect.

All types a/c also, not just the stall fighters but the hardcore Jug, Hog, and FW drivers also.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to reply.
Joker
80th FS "Headhunters"
FSO Squad 412th FNVG

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
Re: Techniques for turning
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 01:05:38 PM »
Are you talking just a straight flat turn or any turn; say, the scissors?
* I am the embodiment of Rule #14
* History is only recent.
* Stick and Stones won't break my bones, but names could "hurt" me.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 01:16:28 PM »
I often wonder how other players manage to make what appears to be unbelievable turns in game.
Read the guy's mind, and do what he doesn't expect. Whatever it is.. It's using the same physics he's using.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 03:18:11 PM »
It depends on too many things to have one set of rules or techniques. Altitude,speeds,weight,plane type and pilot skill are all different every fight. Fighting Greebo in his F4F low and slow is alot different then fighting Pawz' 38 under the same conditions. Moves in the vertical I can get away with fighting a Wildcat will get me dead quick against a P38. And certain overshoot moves I can pull off against Pawz wouldn't work on Greebo.

I just try to use what tools I have at the time to get the bad guy out in front of me as quickly as possible.
Lighten up Francis

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 03:20:12 PM »
Fly to where he will be before he gets there.
-AoM-

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 03:22:01 PM »
if you find yourself being out turned by like planes your either faster than they are, heavier than they are, or just flat out started your turn too late. Hook up with a trainer to find out how its done.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 03:26:15 PM »
Fuel loads can make a big difference, too.  When I'm down to 25% fuel I can be lot more aggressive than when I'm at 75%.  Otherwise, here are some things to pay attention to for maximizing turn rate or minimizing radius:

Throttle...too much energy can be bad.
Use the vertical against aircraft that turn better on paper.
Timed right, an extra notch or two of flaps can get the nose up just enough for the only shot opportunity you'll get.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 03:42:10 PM »
Use flaps and the vertical.  Flat turns will not get you far against an experienced stick.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline Animl

• Copper Member
      • Animal Tactics
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 03:52:44 PM »

I would like to hear from anyone what they do when turning with an enemy, i.e how do you use rudder and throttle, attitude, high G or low G, ect.

All types a/c also, not just the stall fighters but the hardcore Jug, Hog, and FW drivers also.

A lot of these guys are using Rudder pedals, which is easier to handle then twist rudder. Combination of flaps and rudder at the right speed can do wonderful things, depending on the AC. Deploy and release in most planes.

Applying flaps in short spurts at certain speeds (depending on the AC) will pull those turns, usually into blackout, and ride it out in the gray with pin hole vision. Just be careful to not keep flaps deployed because it increases drag dramatically. Restore them as soon as possible,.. like just before coming out of the turn, or just to initiate the turn.

As you probably know already, as far as flaps,..each model AC deploys them at different speeds. If a spit gets you in the right speed window where he can deploy flaps and you're in a ac that won't let you use them at that speed,.. well then, he'll run circles around you when he puts his down. Know you're enemy AC. Some planes will have no mercy on your E if you keep them down, some planes you can hold them down much longer

You get a 190 in the right speed window a flicking usage of flaps can get him TnBing, for a VERY short period. Chances are if you don't EXTEND (you know that running claim) and get some E back you're just waiting to die. 190s are fast, but not drag racers. A 38 at low speeds with flaps will turn like crazy, should out turn a spit if done just right, it also burns ton of E off in a 38. Spits can almost leave them down a notch in a TnB.

Proper usage of flaps and rudder for that model of aircraft  - ACM - it's a true art. People who fly one model have it down to a science,..for that model. But it all work off a general idea.

Someone else can prolly go more indepth then me.. but don't listen to a spit driver tell you how to fly a 190. :) two different worlds.

Animl

Animl (from the ashes of Air Warrior nation) http://home.comcast.net/~animl/

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 04:01:58 PM »

IF the player knows his plane's FLight Performance envelope, Joker...... he can use it to his advantage.......

for example, look at the F4U1 thread that is currently up in the Help & Training Forum.....  Murdr posted a grapgh by Badboy of where the sweet spot in the F4U1D when using flaps is right at 2 notches of flaps.....

another would be turning at a planes best corner velocity...to where you are gaining maximum turn rate/turn speed/turn time....... most times with a slight nose below the horizon atitude to maintain this set speed throughout the turn/maneuver

some will use climbing spirals, yet instead of using rudder in the same direction of the turn they will use opposite rudder of the turn direction...( I use this alot )

when going vertical to rope an individual I will usually use a "Rudder Stomp"  to slam the nose around and get it pointed quickly back down toward my stalling prey..........

only times one would really need to think about cutting throttle is when you are near the end of a long drawn out scissors...... or when starting the downward side of a maneuver to not over accelerate, at the same time gunning it full throttle coming thru the bottom of the maneuver starting to go back vertical so you do not stall out trying to get over the top again.......

as posted by others and you know this, for you been flying these sims longer than I have, but every engagement has its own unique demands

when talking about 25% vs heavier fuel loads........ I have always suggested people I help train fly with heavier fuel loads.......

you are not always in a dueling environment, and learning to maneuver your plane just as well with 100% fuel or 75% fuel load as you can with 25% fuel load will greatly benefit you when you get jumped too soon........

hope this helps
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 04:07:58 PM »
Fly to where he will be before he gets there.
That's what I was doing wrong. sob!

POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 04:17:50 PM »
I used to see unbelievable turns. Turns out my monitor was too small.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 04:40:21 PM »
When you 'see' someone make an unbelievable turn, it's kind of just an illusion.  What you're seeing more than likely is a very nice reverse which is done by being slower usually and doing the opposite maneuver that your opponent does and pointing you plane to where he is going to be.

Offline Ratpack1

• Nickel Member
      • The Ryan Sayer Show @ OnTilt Radio
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 04:42:17 PM »
Follow his nose not his tail
When you get where you're going, that's where you are! -Mike Brady
172nd Rabid Dawgs
"The Real" Commander of Awesome (Stick "Ozzie Nelson" Pig)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 05:48:20 PM »
Flaps can be your best friend and your worst enemy. I recommend learning too turn your ride as best you can without flaps. Once you master that then start tweaking with flaps.

Also learn about torque, both yours and your enemies.