Author Topic: Flying Boats ,Cargo Supply flights and AIR SEA RESCUE  (Read 649 times)

Psychomutt

Flying Boats ,Cargo Supply flights and AIR SEA RESCUE
« on: January 04, 2000, 09:06:00 PM »
Okay - this is a summary of my thread at brand w board (well I wrote the following but never posted it etc)Maybe im a bit far ahead but its worth consideration.Not all of these ideas are my own - this is kinda a super summary of a wbs post, but I think it can apply here . Im hoping that pyro might put more interest into this subject than the director of development at wbs .....

FLYING BOATS etc
Planes
*PBY Catalina
*Shorts Sunderland
H7K "Mavis"
*H8K "Emily"
E14y "Glen"
He115
*Dornier Do24
(*must have )

Roles they do (and possible new scenarios -explained below)
Sub hunting/Anti shipping
Search/Rescue
Recon
Troop Carrier/boat lauched troops
Light Bomb duties
Cargo

New Scenarios for the Sea Planes/Amphibians

The Rescue role - this was the most widely accepted (and debated) scenario
Where a FB/A has the ability to pick up a downed ("feet wet") pilot during play so the downed pilot can keep some of his points -
* When a pilot bails or ditches in the ocean where he would be captured he bounces back to the tower (just like he does now). In the map view he sees a small X or some other symbol to mark the location of his pilot.
This marker remains in his map view if he selects a Catalina to attempt rescue. If he flies a fighter or bomber the marker disappears (captured).
* Another pilot could also attempt the rescue if he chooses. If he selects a Catalina and highlights the downed pilot (.hl command) he sees the marker in his map view.The rescuer would obviously be compensated for his efforts through point allocation for a successful rescue
* Its a one chance thing. If the Catalina is shot down the original marker disappears (captured).
-There were also questions raised that if the symbol(ie raft) could be destroyed by enemy forces .I don't support this view but I support the view that the enemy can capture downed pilots of the opposite team -perhaps for more points or for further points to be removed from the downed pilot

The Cargo Role-Adding a new stratigy to the game
Essentually the player has to move cargo from point a to point b "for the good of the nation" in a cargo/sea plane
This obviously could be intermixed with other aircraft types (ie c47 , ju52).An example of
a cargo scenario Transport stuff between ports/airbases ? VIPs/Special Cargo, Ammo etc for eg Perhaps it
could be aircraft spares - allowing a "damaged" or "unserviceable" type of aircraft to be unlocked
heres my scenario for eg - heard there was some difficulty in one of the arenas with the ju52 not being avalible at some fields
- perhaps a cargo run in a catalina could unlock these ?-adding a new dynamic option to replace/repair damaged planes if a limit is
placed on the numbers of planes/types of planes .It would also allow online squadrons to practise in cargo escourting .

Introduction of subs/u-boats and sub hunting and mining - yet again another area that could be explored to add new targets - most of
the heavy flying boats had the ability to lay mines to disrupt shipping and to sub hunt

Addition of safe water ports - It would be far to easy for a "sea" plane to land anywhere.Perhaps add wharfs for the ability to load/unload troops - like launching paratroops??
link in these wharfs with local airfields?? .Recon/primative radar roles - ability to hide in clouds means that the heavy flying boats won't be such a target for "furballers" and provide a little eye candy with clouds ?

------------------
-Psychomutt

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2000, 11:51:00 PM »
1. No water (well there is, but you know what I mean)
2. Nothing is in the water. (yet?)
3. Clouds are at 20k (ok, so we can have some lower)
4. You can see other planes in the clouds anyway, there's just no icons.
5. Etc...  

Good ideas though, but maybe not for this sim? I think AH is supposed to be mostly ACM oriented?

Psychomutt

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2000, 04:21:00 AM »
err - yes I realise that we dont have an oversized pond yet - soon !!!!!
Sorry for working ahead of everyone - but hey - its all in development !