Author Topic: Do 335 Pfeil  (Read 1749 times)

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
Re: Do 335 Pfeil
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2009, 06:53:06 PM »
F4U...... :noid
Could it do it without flaps? I can turn a spit with a 109, but when you take away flaps, I'll never win. Moot can do it with the 152, but can't do it without flaps.
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Operator
United States Marine
"Stay ahead of the game, Stay ahead of the plane."

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2009, 08:36:00 PM »
There's enough Do 335 hype on the internet to nearly rival the Ki-100 for BS factor. One site raves about the Do 335 being able to climb to 26,250 feet in under 15 minutes. Compare that to the P-38J which could get to 26k in less than 8 minutes. A P-51B at "Normal Power" (less than MIL power, much less than WEP) could get to 26k in under 14 minutes.

Another states that the "Do 335 was the fastest piston engine fighter of WWII."

Of course, the P-47M was faster and the P-51H was even faster than the Jug. This excludes prototypes like the XP-47J (504 mph at 32k) and the XP-72 (490 mph at 25k).

There is always much hype about German fighters that never saw combat. It's very much like the lost-cause culture that permeates American Civil War discussions. 90% myth, with just enough truth to suck in the gullible.

Add to the above; only 11 Do 335A-1s were completed, with none serving in operational units in combat.. This is an easy one to decide.. No way. Especially when there were F7F-3Ns and P-51Hs in operational combat units, flying combat sorties during the last week of WWII. Since no enemy were encountered, they didn't fire their guns in anger. Thus, those two are disqualified. There's the F8F-1, in operational combat units aboard carriers, just days from combat... Not qualified.

Spitfire Mk.21s saw combat in the last month of the war... Then there's the Meteor F.3 which saw considerable combat, credited with 43 Luftwaffe aircraft destroyed on the ground. How about the P-47M? This fighter equipped the entire 56th FG and saw much combat in the last two months of the war.

The fact is that the Do 335 was not built in any numbers and certainly not ready for combat before the factory was captured. It should not be in the game.

There's dozen of other aircraft of vastly greater significance that should be added before anyone even gives the late war, "almost made it" fighters any consideration.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2009, 08:42:27 PM »
e.

There's dozen of other aircraft of vastly greater significance that should be added before anyone even gives the late war, "almost made it" fighters any consideration.

My regards,

Widewing
P-63     :noid
See Rule #4

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2009, 08:46:34 PM »
PWNED!    Widewing: 1  Do335: 0

Will you accept a bribe to recant your testimony on the F8F?  :D
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline TheZohan

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2009, 04:52:19 AM »
i play the DO-335 in MS's Combat Flight Simulator III  BoB .. i love it !

Offline j500ss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2009, 11:33:18 AM »
Slightly off topic here but my question is, was there another German plane produced that resembled the 335, but only single engine. Reason I ask is this, several years ago here at the local airport there are several companies that deal, repair and whatever else in WWII era aircraft. For about a year sat on a tarmac a plane that was a dead ringer for the 335 minus rear engine and was ( and I'm guessing here ) same size or slightly larger. Anyways just curious.