Author Topic: Movie time!  (Read 644 times)

Offline Phanza

• Copper Member
Movie time!
« on: November 11, 2009, 12:45:34 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOInpXeCYM0

Didn't spend much time editing, or make any fancy camera work. But I guess it's watchable. Frapsing from ahfilmviewer is a pain. :banana:

Some BnZ, rocket vulching, scissors, Aggressive/Defensive ACM, and a climbingturn-rope.

Enjoy!

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
Re: Movie time!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 01:24:13 PM »
Nice Phanz, as always. Like the reversal on the 38 and Nik at the end.

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 02:07:10 PM »
I thought it was okay.

The entire thing was in 1/2 speed slo mo, but the camera moves/inputs were in real-time... This really kinda irked me as I was watching it, and I found the camera inputs more distracting than the footage was interesting.

The combat seemed like it was nice, but I couldn't focus on it most of the time, because of the camera twitches, if you know what I mean?

Offline boomerlu

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 02:39:40 PM »
The entire thing was in 1/2 speed slo mo, but the camera moves/inputs were in real-time... This really kinda irked me as I was watching it, and I found the camera inputs more distracting than the footage was interesting.
What movie are you watching? The action was obviously full speed, if nothing else watch the gun tracers and you'll see they're traveling as fast as you expect.

:O at how good the graphics look. LOL my integrated video card can't come close. I've got to agree with the clown on the camera angles. Chase camera is a drag - try using recorded views but with head outside the cockpit if you use snap views in game. Good reversals though, gotta remember to do them myself in the future. :joystick:
boomerlu
JG11

Air Power rests at the apex of the first triad of victory, for it combines mobility, flexibility, and initiative.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 03:13:04 PM »
I was watching that same footage... Everything from tracer speeds to plane motions was at half speed. I've watched enough half-speed AH films to know it when I see it ;)

EDIT: I'm not saying that's BAD, really.. just that it didn't mesh with the real-time camera changes.

Offline Phanza

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 04:06:22 PM »
hmm, might be coz i frapsed without sync on. Thought it looked abit slow myself.

I have no recorded views as I'm using TrackIR.

Offline boomerlu

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 12:29:18 AM »
hmm, might be coz i frapsed without sync on. Thought it looked abit slow myself.
I went and tried it to give Krusty the shadow of the doubt. I have an absolute crap integrated video card. I FRAPS-ed my film viewer and my FPS dropped to about 10 ish.

Real time. No half-speed. I don't think it is even possible to FRAPS into half speed without intentionally setting the viewer to 0.5x. The worst that will happen is your frame rate will slow to something godawful.

Try it.

Also logically, if the FRAPS output were half speed, then that means the original camera angles moved at "double speed". Something's just wrong with that.

Edit: just padlock your target from external view. Or set your "internal" views of the film viewer to outside the plane. Then padlock the target. It will look much less disorienting and give a better shot of the action/thought process of the pilot.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 12:31:11 AM by boomerlu »
boomerlu
JG11

Air Power rests at the apex of the first triad of victory, for it combines mobility, flexibility, and initiative.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 01:11:31 AM »
I don't know what settings he used, but it's very clearly slower than normal playback speed. When you fire a burst at something, when you follow it in rolling scissors... there's a feel for how fast things move.

That film is [edit: was] positively slow. Even the tracers reach out (about the halfway point) and are moving slowly.

Don't know whether it was the export in his video editor, his capture, his fraps, his film viewer playback, dunno what, but the end result is slower than real action.

EDIT: I concede not exactly "half" speed -- but doesn't feel at 1.0 x

EDIT2: watching it again... seems a bit faster now (may have been issue with my web browser/system the first time around? ) but a couple shots seem like things move slow (the A6m kill at the beginning, where he shoots the tail off the f6/f4f, one shot where tracers come at the camera looking back)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 01:15:07 AM by Krusty »

Offline boomerlu

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 10:21:57 AM »
I think it's just perceptual bias that's changing "how fast it looks". Just like how Phanza is thinking "looked a bit slow to me too" after you mentioned it, me saying that it's actually close to normal speed made you look twice.

Thing is, neither of us is used to chase camera. We won't know without asking Phanza. ;)

BUT the point of my second post is that, having actually done an experiment with FRAPS - it is impossible to get half speed by "accident of FRAPS" - it would have to be set slow in the film viewer or afterwards in post-production. And once again, if that were so, then the camera angles would double in their speed of changing.

In other words, if it's slow, it could not be by accident. And from what Phanza said, apparently he did not intentionally set it slow.

Edit: Do fires burn slower at reduced speeds? Check out the F4U part. I'm not sure, as this could be a video card difference and I've never paid attention.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 10:25:15 AM by boomerlu »
boomerlu
JG11

Offline Phanza

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 10:41:02 AM »
Movie was recorded with Fraps fullsize 30fps without sync. From what i saw it was a steady 30fps all the way thru recording.

Computer:
i7 950 3.07ghz
12mb ram
Nvidia Gforce GTX 295 (Dual processors)
Vista 64

Fraps can slow down the movie in some cases, I've seen it and tried it before. If you set it to record at 60fps but only have processor power to run the game at 30fps.

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 07:29:49 PM »
good film.
The stutters I noticed occurred when the person would fire his guns.  Could be a sound issue from a custom sound pack, an old sound driver, cheap onboard sound or simply Vista itself.
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline bravoa8

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 09:14:47 PM »
Movie was recorded with Fraps fullsize 30fps without sync. From what i saw it was a steady 30fps all the way thru recording.

Computer:
i7 950 3.07ghz
12mb ram
Nvidia Gforce GTX 295 (Dual processors)
Vista 64

Fraps can slow down the movie in some cases, I've seen it and tried it before. If you set it to record at 60fps but only have processor power to run the game at 30fps.
:O One sweeeet comp there Phanza!

Offline coola4me

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 10:18:04 AM »
Nice video! I especially like the parts when fellow countrymen try to clear your 12 hahahaha! :devil
CO. 172nd Rabid Dawgs
In Game Name: coola
Panties....not the greatest thing on Earth..... but next to it!!!     ME-YOW!!!

Offline Phanza

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 10:42:00 AM »
Nice video! I especially like the parts when fellow countrymen try to clear your 12 hahahaha! :devil

Yea, who needs enemies with team mates like that.