Author Topic: Puffy ack.  (Read 1137 times)

Offline FYB

• Silver Member
Re: Puffy ack.
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2009, 06:25:00 PM »
WOW... That was BS.

-FYB
Most skill based sport? -
The sport of understanding women.

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2009, 06:33:01 PM »
Puffy =  :mad: :furious

I utterly despise the puffy ack system in AH.  It is ridiculous.
It is better than the one in Il-2, in that one, you can fly around the flak screen, while .50 and .30 cals. give you pilot wounds, set fuel tanks afire, and destroy your rudder in the first two shots.
InGame ID: Cairn
Quote from: BillyD topic=283300.msg3581799#msg3581799
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2009, 06:43:46 PM »
Icon range is shorter than "action bubble" range. If the shells have infinite range it is possible to hit a target that is just outside icon range. I've never done it though.
It's impossible for you to hit a plane maneuvering 10 seconds down-range at 400mph, perpendicular to the 5" pov.  Unless you're guessing where the plane is going to maneuver in the next 10 sec and win the lottery.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2009, 09:58:40 PM »
It's impossible for you to hit a plane maneuvering 10 seconds down-range at 400mph, perpendicular to the 5" pov.  Unless you're guessing where the plane is going to maneuver in the next 10 sec and win the lottery.

It would appear that the Puffy ack code doesn't take into account angles like you describe but only the random chance of getting hit if you are in range above 3k...

It wouldn't hurt to go back to the drawing board and see if there's a more effective, more realistic way to design a system to better address a lot of problems people have been reporting such as: fighters being more frequently affected (killed) by the puffy ack than bombers, impossible angles (through mountains, perpendicular shots), absurd accuracies at 20 mile distances, absurd accuracies at 400mph+ fighters.

Perhaps 'the box' that has been mentioned by HiTech could be enlarged to a greater degree as the speed of the airplane increases?  HiTech, you have said that a fast airplane does have a larger box, but perhaps the box is not getting as large as it needs to as the speed increases?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 12:16:21 AM by grizz441 »

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2009, 10:33:01 PM »
It doesnt, I'm answering Die Hard's specific reply to someone saying that shot in a manned 5" is feasible.
The puffy ack works like you say yep.. I'm just wishing for some time of flight modeling.

Thru mountains can't be fixed cheaply. Collision calc is too expensive.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 10:35:16 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2009, 10:59:15 PM »
Puffy ack is nearly impossible to dodge most times! In 1 sortie I got hit by puffy ack 4 times! Somehow it didn't do any damage.