Author Topic: Slight troubles  (Read 543 times)

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
Slight troubles
« on: May 31, 2009, 07:47:18 PM »
Normally I would ask in the "Tech support" area, but it seems there are more threads then answers there.

Anyways, recently Aces High has been acting up; Artifacts, screen flickering, random plane crash and it becomes night, and computer freezing.  this is the only game that has this happen, other games have very small artifacts on rare occasions, but nothing to the extreme of AH.
I have only started having these troubles recently, and that I know of nothing has changed on the computer.  I have a DxDiag ready if it is needed.

Basic Info:
CPU: AMD Athlon X2 4850e 2.5Ghz (With Dual-core optimizer)
Motherboard: Biostar NF61S-M2 TE
RAM: 2GB Transcend DDR2-800mhz (Dual channel)
GPU: NVidia GeForce 7900GS 256mb
PSU: OCZ StealthX 700Watt

I run at 1680x1050 60Hz, V-sync on, medium-high settings and 4x AA, Framerate is around 45-60

Also, not related to Aces High, but Windows Media Player has recently started playing certain movies in Black and White with different colored lines running vertical across the image, not sure if this is for the same reason AH is so messy.
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline alskahawk

• Silver Member
Re: Slight troubles
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 08:08:59 PM »
Check your video card. If the fan is locking up it could be giving you heating problems. Also check your monitor/vc cable. My knee jerk reaction is heat related/VC. Pull the card and look at it closely. Check to see that you have the latest updates. Nvidia updated a couple of weeks ago.
 Possibly memory related. I had one problem recently. Installed new memory and got no video. Computer started fine everything fine, no video. Changed memory worked.  New memory didn't like video card. 

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 08:25:02 PM »
Sounds like your Video Card memory is shot.   I had a 7800GT with the Samsung memory and RMA'd it (and gave Bj229r an early Xmas gift with an 8800GT they sent to me).

Also, if you recently went with a new Nvidia update, try going back more than a year on the drivers.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 09:28:04 PM »
Sounds like a video card heat issue to me also.  If your fan is still spinning it may properly and not be cooling enough for your environment (summer), try a free video card utility called RivaTuner.  You can turn the fan speed up and have it start up that way after boot-up.  Stock setting are usually about 40% speed... try 55% or a little higher.  The higher the setting the more noise the system will make

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 09:38:34 PM »
I currently run Nvidia Control Panel (NCP) and turn my Fan up to 80-100%, the card sensors reads around 38-60C max during idle to full gaming using Everest and NCP to check.  Ambient room temp is 68-71F.  I know the fan itself is working, can hear and see it.  Rather loud in my room all the time due to the GPU alone. :)

As for GPU RAM heat, I have no idea if it is getting hot, no sensors, and there is no way to put heatsinks on them due to the Fan compartment overlapping part of most of them.

Drivers, I forget what number it is, but they are from Early April-ish.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 11:10:52 PM »
I currently run Nvidia Control Panel (NCP) and turn my Fan up to 80-100%, the card sensors reads around 38-60C max during idle to full gaming using Everest and NCP to check.  Ambient room temp is 68-71F.  I know the fan itself is working, can hear and see it.  Rather loud in my room all the time due to the GPU alone. :)

As for GPU RAM heat, I have no idea if it is getting hot, no sensors, and there is no way to put heatsinks on them due to the Fan compartment overlapping part of most of them.

Drivers, I forget what number it is, but they are from Early April-ish.

Revert to about a year ago.    Ditch the nTune (if this is what you're using), it'll do more damage, then help you.   Use RivaTuner like TD stated.   I use it on my 8800GTS, but the factory setting on my 8800gTS KO was 100% when I opened RT.   I've left it at that since last July, when I built this thing. 

What case, fans you have, etc?
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 11:19:53 PM »
It sounds to me like either video card heat or bad VRAM.

I agree, get rid of nTune, it's nothing but trouble.  You can keep the monitors but the performance tools are anything but.  Install Riva Tuner and use it to set your fan speed (I set mine at 65% and leave it there).  Default is 32%.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 11:42:39 PM »
Revert to about a year ago.    Ditch the nTune (if this is what you're using), it'll do more damage, then help you.   Use RivaTuner like TD stated.   I use it on my 8800GTS, but the factory setting on my 8800gTS KO was 100% when I opened RT.   I've left it at that since last July, when I built this thing. 

What case, fans you have, etc?

Well, I uninstalled NTune, and got the newest Riva Tuner.  I will try older Drivers tomorrow.  Hope it helps, even a little.

My case is 'Aerocool M40 Cube', I got it due to moving my computer so much, needed something small and easy to move.  It uses 1x 120mm fan for intake (could be modded for 2 if I felt like cutting), and 2x lower level 80mm fans, and 1x top layer 80mm fan for out-take.  It cools rather well for such a small case, the fans move 75-80CFM (120mm), and 30-35CFM (80mm).

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 12:03:00 AM »
Well, I uninstalled NTune, and got the newest Riva Tuner.  I will try older Drivers tomorrow.  Hope it helps, even a little.

My case is 'Aerocool M40 Cube', I got it due to moving my computer so much, needed something small and easy to move.  It uses 1x 120mm fan for intake (could be modded for 2 if I felt like cutting), and 2x lower level 80mm fans, and 1x top layer 80mm fan for out-take.  It cools rather well for such a small case, the fans move 75-80CFM (120mm), and 30-35CFM (80mm).

I don't know what others may think (please do guys).   But I'd almost say to go ahead and cut that 2nd fan hole.   It seems you're unstable on the airflow.   A 2nd 120mm would "even" things out to a much better ratio.

If I'm not mistaken this is a "shuttle type" case?    MicroATX?   I don't know how you cable management is, but you might try to clean it up the best you can.   

But understand, the damage MAY already be done to your card.   However, doing the above will help you out, regardless of the card that is in there (outside of bad VC RAM).   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 05:48:27 AM »
Well, I can look into the 2nd fan, will be interesting to try and do.

The case, http://www.aerocool.com.tw/case/m40/m40.htm , Yes Micro-ATX.  I have spent hours getting cable management for best airflow, however it is hard since I have a bad layout Motherboard, and an IDE HDD.

If the card is dieing, it could get kinda difficult, we got a paycut this month.  I just hope it can hold out for a month or so, if not at least I have an excuse to get a new GPU. :)

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 10:48:25 PM »
Well, I had to remove my secondary HDD today, and re-wire a little, and it seems the problems are less serious now.  I get an occasional black screen flicker, but after 25 minutes of flying it was stable.  Not sure how removing the other HDD helped, or if it did, but oh well.

RivaTuner seems to work this time around, last time around it kept messing up, glad it works now, saves me some trouble.

Heat may still be existent, but it was never too bad.  Will look into possibly putting a second intake in.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 08:40:57 AM »
Well, I had to remove my secondary HDD today, and re-wire a little, and it seems the problems are less serious now.  I get an occasional black screen flicker, but after 25 minutes of flying it was stable.  Not sure how removing the other HDD helped, or if it did, but oh well.

RivaTuner seems to work this time around, last time around it kept messing up, glad it works now, saves me some trouble.

Heat may still be existent, but it was never too bad.  Will look into possibly putting a second intake in.

Just off of the top of my head:  Bad cable to the Slave Drive?  Jumpers in the right spot?   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 01:45:03 PM »
Just off of the top of my head:  Bad cable to the Slave Drive?  Jumpers in the right spot?   

HDDs are IDE, so it is the same cable for both.  Jumpers were at one point incorrect, I did fix it though.  I think my PC just hates me is all, it needs some replacement parts.

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 06:15:41 AM »
just curious are there any problems with leaving the cover off computer case to help it cool?

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 05:27:45 AM »
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812123152  I don't know if you're using one already, but i bought a couple of these myself to improve airflow with my ide drives.
"The lord loves a hangin', that's why he gave us necks." - Ren & Stimpy

Ingame- Ozone