Author Topic: Baseball cards  (Read 545 times)

Offline ariansworld

• Nickel Member
Baseball cards
« on: June 16, 2009, 11:33:56 AM »
My brother recently purchased a whole shoe box full of baseball cards at a yard sale for $5.    I was going through them today and a bunch of them date from the 70's and the 80's.  I am wondering which ones are going to be worth some $$.   Any help would be apreciated.

Offline Tr1gg22

• Silver Member
Re: Baseball cards
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 11:41:55 AM »
well cant help u if we dont no what u have :O Start throwing a few of the older ones out here so we have an idea of what u have..
"CO" of the Wobblin Gobblins...

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 11:46:44 AM »
Go buy a Beckett price guide.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 12:33:36 PM »
Nolan Ryan...
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 02:43:49 PM »
Nolan Ryan 1989 first Upper Deck factory set is worth a few bucks.  I believe ryans cards should be worth more then they are.

Frankly....Nolan Ryans cards don't deliver a good price.

Now...since I've collected baseball cards for a very long time I can be of service.

Cards worth largely depends on who is on the card.  Most cards in the 70s and 80s aren't worth a great deal.  There are a few exceptions. (Sold a Ricky Henderson 1980 Topps for 150$ 14 years ago)

Some things to watch for.  1971 Topps cards I believe have a black border.  Condition very important.  Some people to improve the condition of 71 topps cards with discolored or frayed edges use

a black magic marker to cover the flaws.  If you know what you're looking at you will spot it right away.  If not you just might purchase a card you've paid to much for.

Hall of famers, rookie Cards, and ones like first topps cards of HOF or soon to be HOF'ers are worth the most.

Of course then condition comes into play.  Corners sharp?  Edges worn?  Marks or stains on cards?

Card damaged in any way?  Corner bent or folded?  Myriad of things used to set the value of a card.

Basically one has to see the card to tulips value.

Now....the cards that bring higher value generally come from the 50s and 60s and before with a few exceptions.  1957 Topps sets individual cards of some numbers worth 20 -30 dollars

because they weren't produced in great numbers.  Very few of them around.  This includes players you've never heard of before in 1957.  Scarcity the key. Aarons 1957 Topps card shows

him batting left handed, reverse negative.  Worth more....cards with mistakes can be very highly sought after and valuable.

There are many card sets produced now...this is making collecting baseball cards useless as there are many more produced.

I have a nice collection of cards of HOF and stars from the 50s' and 60s'.  Also 3 very nice Goudey Big League Chewing Gum Cards from the early 30s.

I have about 30 autographed baseballs also.  If you're getting started collecting cards now save your money for the older ones.

The new sets now....as I said, far to many cards produced to make it worthwhile unless it's just for fun.

Some of the Cards that I do have from the 80s like McGwires Olympic Team Card and Clemens from Topps 87 worthless....steroids.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 03:00:47 PM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 02:57:04 PM »
We have about 3-4 boxes of card that haven't seen the light of day since the early 90s, cards themselves vary in age by a lot.  I haven't seen them touched in nearly 10 years since I myself don't collect them.  I may bring em down to see if it's worth keeping so many for no reason.  Been in those boxes so long, they are in darn good shape. :)
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 03:19:32 PM »
Highlights of 70's/80's cards

George Brett
Pete Rose
Mike Schmidt
Nolan Ryan
Wade Boggs
Tony Gwynn
Rickey Henderson
Johnny Bench
Cal Ripken
Tom Seaver
Carl Yaztremski

The rest aren't much.  Even nowadays cards that used to be $5.00+ are not even worth much more than "commons".   

I'm in the process of sending about 15 cards to Beckett to be Graded.  Including a Rickey Henderson Topps Rookie, Barry Sanders Score rookie, 1962 Topps Duke Snider, 1973 Topps Hank Aaron and a probable 9.5 or 10 1986 Jerry Rice Topps rookie.   

I have over 20,000 cards sitting downstairs in bins.   I should have sold them about 6-7 years ago before the market dipped.   It will go back up. 

I'll also send my Johnny Mize and Bob Feller signed baseballs in for Certification.  If my kid wants to sell them, after I pass, he'll get more for them.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 03:41:08 PM »
you can always check ebay . just key in the card and the info for it will show up
Ingame : Shipper

Never put your gun down to hug a grizzly.

Offline ariansworld

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 04:59:28 PM »
I have this kellogs cornflakes all star   with jim rice for the redsox   on it. The picture on it moves when you move the card. I have other ones that the picture moves on , but they were made in 1987 by sport flics.   juan nieves is on one, pat tabler is on one, and tim wallach is on one.

I also have tony gwynn and wade boggs card. still looking through the rest of the cards though.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 05:32:36 PM »
I saw a crap load of Cards and Sports figurines at a yard sale on Saturday in Bridgeport. I looked through the football cards mostly, but I haven't collected since I was 11 or 12.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 05:56:02 PM »
Yeah I still have a couple thousand cards in my closet, all in card binders categorized by team , have a few complete Topps sets from the late 80's, by far my favorite card I have is my Mark Grace rookie card.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 06:13:12 PM »
Karayaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!  Hiyas Jay!   Following a list of some of my best and oldest cards.  Knew there was something I liked about ya!

1953 Topps Bob Feller
1957 Topps Rocky Colavito (My hero as a kid) 1957 first time Topps used Color photos and changed to size of todays modern cards.
1957 Topps Hank Aaron reverse negative shown batting left handed
1965 Topps Hank Aaron  (Stats for 64 on the back and last year in Milwaukee, in Milwaukee uniform)
1956 Topps Ted Williams
1955 Topps Ernie Banks (Let's play two!)
1933 Goudy Big League Chewing Gum Paul Waner (half of Big Poison and Little Poison)
1934 Goudy Big League chewing Gum Mel Harder- Many suggest he should be in the HOF
1934 Goudy Big League Chewing Gum John Allen 2nd Baseman of the NY Yankees
1956 Topps Roberto Clemente (Need I say more? I remember him in right field with a howitzer on his right shoulder instead of an arm  ;))

Jay....Bob Feller eh?  On opening day in then Jacobs field...the first game ever in the Jake (now progressive field) I got Bob Fellers Autograph and Mel Harders autograph
on American League Baseballs with the Jacobs Field Logo made for the first game ever in jacobs field.  That was the one and only time baseballs
with the Jacobs Field Logo appeared and were used in an american league game.

And many many sets from the 80s and 90s.....rookie cards....someday I have to catalogue these things.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 06:44:47 PM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -