Author Topic: Interesting comment from P-38 pilot I talked to today -- for SAPP folks  (Read 1331 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
By the way, Widewing, based on your recommendation, I read The Lockheed P-38 Lightning, by Warren M. Bodie, and I loved it.  What an awesome book.  You are involved in the publishing, correct?  I wish that there were such a book (with such detail and depth of information) for each WWII aircraft.

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
Most of us SAPP guys have the new heaters already, we even named them..... Engine#1, and engine#2   :D
Good I was worried AKAK might catch a cold :D

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
Thanks for the posts Brooke and WW :).
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
By the way, Widewing, based on your recommendation, I read The Lockheed P-38 Lightning, by Warren M. Bodie, and I loved it.  What an awesome book.  You are involved in the publishing, correct?  I wish that there were such a book (with such detail and depth of information) for each WWII aircraft.

Warren's P-38 book preceded my association with him by several years. We wrote together for Flight Journal. Larger projects were considered, but I didn't have the time to dedicate to them. Bodie knows his stuff and has an enormous photo and document collection. He also knows just about everyone in the business.

Many of the more well known aviation writers use Facebook (public and private groups) and twitter to keep in touch and share resources. Many people here would recognize most names in these groups. Boyne, Gamble, Hammel, Bruning and Tillman, to name just a few. Many also use Scribd to market material and make available free articles. Scribd is just beginning to take off and should be a great resource for the public to buy low cost PDF copies of new and previously published works in all disciplines of writing. Eric Hammel has put a great deal of his work up on the site.

My regards,

Widewing

My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline jdbecks

• Silver Member
Thanks Brooke!

Did he mention anything about the blender?

I keep seeing this coming up from time to time, but cant find out what it means? whats the story behind the blender?  :noid
JG11

...Only the proud, only the strong...
www.JG11.org

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
good thread, read it all and  im ADD. :salute

you said hammel has a sight will check it out.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 05:44:15 AM by crazyivan »
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
I keep seeing this coming up from time to time, but cant find out what it means? whats the story behind the blender?  :noid

It has to do with S.A.P.P. and the Consortium Of Twelve.

Consortium of 12
Skuzzy = Grand Exalted Ruler of the Consortium of 12 ex officio
CokryJR = Exalted Ruler pro tempore
Raptor = Exalted Ruler pro tempore emeritus
AKAK= Esteemed Leading Knight of Oxygen and altitidue
Murdr = Esteemed Loyal Knight of the Duct Tape
Shuffler = Esteemed Lecturing Knight of the Blender   <<<<<<<<<<
Estes = Gracious Secretary
Delirium = Treasurer
Soulyss= Inner Guard
SaVage = Esquire
Mensa = Eunuch
Fianna = Organist

That is all I am allowed to tell you unless you know the secret handshake.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 10:19:54 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
good thread, read it all and  im ADD. :salute

you said hammel has a sight will check it out.

Eric's website:
http://www.erichammelbooks.com/

Scribd
http://www.scribd.com/
Do a search for Eric Hammel

My regards,

Widewing

My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline alskahawk

• Silver Member
 Its easy to overlook little things like heaters..as long as your not the one in the cockpit. It gets cold and then its hard to concentrate on the things you need to do.