Author Topic: I did some experimenting  (Read 1021 times)

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
I did some experimenting
« on: June 26, 2009, 06:31:12 PM »
I dropped a custom terrain .res into the AH Beta.  The terrain loaded and I was able to fly offline.  I wanted to see the changes that would have to be made to update terrains.  Here's what I found.  My custom terrain textures are no longer there, I get the new defaults.  The elevation changes look more fluid and not so sharp.  Transitions are gone (done differently in the new TE I'm sure), The shoreline was gone, a white border taking it's place.  Also, my FR are half what they were, running full detail in AH and in the Beta.  If you want to see the things I am talking about, just drop another terrain into the Beta and go for a flight.

Really looking forward to getting my hands on the new TE. :aok

Edit:  I just loaded Tunisia.  It is now a tropical jungle. :lol

I hope updating existing terrains won't be too crazy.  We shall see. :)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 06:37:23 PM by USRanger »
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
Re: I did some experimenting
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 08:57:09 PM »
 :aok

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 09:04:35 AM »
One thing I did notice is that even though the custom terrain textures no longer work (the same way) with the new version, the custom object textures still remained.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline danny37

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 05:40:23 AM »
i did the same and all textures went back to default except airfield grass,runways and tarmacs,also there was no beaches and some of the fields close to water were put under water in the beta...lol

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 06:25:53 AM »
Tried a terrain with rivers in it, but they just came out as sandy areas in the beta. Hopefully its just that the rivers aren't finished yet, not that we aren't getting any new ones.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 04:46:10 PM »
Tried a terrain with rivers in it, but they just came out as sandy areas in the beta. Hopefully its just that the rivers aren't finished yet, not that we aren't getting any new ones.

Maybe it was a drought. :D
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.