Author Topic: Film/movie questions  (Read 327 times)

Offline mia389

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Film/movie questions
« on: July 27, 2009, 02:24:14 AM »
When I go through some of my recordings I record some parts using fraps. Fraps puts them in a avi file. These files are huge. How can I zip or compress these files so they are smaller? What software do I need? I would like others to be able to download a very short clip without having to wait for hours.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
Re: Film/movie questions
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 05:52:53 AM »
When I go through some of my recordings I record some parts using fraps. Fraps puts them in a avi file. These files are huge. How can I zip or compress these files so they are smaller? What software do I need? I would like others to be able to download a very short clip without having to wait for hours.

There are all kinds of products out there that will compress AVIs into smaller files you can then stream over the web. For my AH videos I record in the game and then record to AVI in Fraps as you do. I happen to have Sony Vegas so I do my edits in it and then render them out into Windows Media Video format. Just as easily i could render them into Quicktime, MPEG-4, Real Media, Flash. Your talking "streaming" here right?

Theres probably a lot of freeware available to render AVIs to more effecient compressions. Your Windows Media Player might even be able to do it. Vegas is fairly expensive and you dont need all those features for what you want to do.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 06:15:56 AM »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline mia389

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 09:42:38 AM »
Wasnt really thinking of streaming. I just wanted others to be able to download a smaller file. Thanks for you help

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 12:25:04 PM »
Fraps recordings are very large because your computer can't compress the movie capture while its recording (that would take an amazing amount of CPU power).  So as a result, Fraps recordings aren't really compressed.  You'll need a movie editing program to compress it and agrange your scenes.

Most people when starting out compress/make their movies with Windows Movie Maker since it comes with Windows and its free.  It's pretty basic but for movie making I wouldn't just to buying programs right off the bad.  Check YouTube for tutorials on how to use the program.

Professional programs such as Adobe Premiere, Sony Vegas can do all the fancy stuff.  But they're generally very expensive and take a while to learn for someone who is totally green in this area.

Search the Films/Screenshot forum, there are tutorials on how to do the basic AH movies and captures and editing.

And if you want to learn how to use the camera shots in Aces High Film viewer (for making more advanced movies), check out my tutorial.
http://derstuhl.net/ahmd/uploads/Aces%20High%20Training%20and%20Help%20Movies/ahfilm_camerashots_tut.zip
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline mia389

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 12:16:04 AM »
Thanks Fulmar. My windows media player doent even play most the video types. Some reason it doesnt download the codecs. I did find a pack I installed and it helped. I tryed a program called Xilisoft and it has been working . My videos that I put into a .mov file freeze when viewing from quicktime. I might try something differnt because of that.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 12:44:49 AM »
Do you have Windows Movie Maker? Its free and the fastest way to get where you are going but it wont make the best looking movies once they are compressed. DivX Author really works nice and its not too much money. It even works with Vista now.

Also look for the Combined Community Codec Pack here.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 03:23:34 AM »
http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm Best codec pack I ever found with a convenient player as well.
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil