Author Topic: Tower pad for GVs  (Read 666 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Tower pad for GVs
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2009, 06:22:27 PM »
I see your point Rich, but I have to disagree. 

The GV spawns that are located outside of the base, are not meant to represent a "mobile" or "forward deployed" GV base of any kind.  They are meant to represent that the tanker has driven the 10 miles (or whatever the distance is) from his base, undetected, and is now in a position to commence his attack.  It cuts out the monotonous drive time that everyone would have to cover if GV's had to up like aircraft do.  All they are for is to make GV'ing in this game more viable.  If we all had to drive that distance instead of instantly popping up at spawn points, GV's would become a purely defensive weapon... and hardly ever used to attack bases with.

That's how the GVs in AW were pretty much delegated to.  Since GVs only spawned at the base you were at and the distances between bases, it wasn't very feasible to use them in an offensive role because it could take up to 3 hours or more to reach certain bases.  The only exceptions were around the Big Pond area in earlier versions of AW when only those bases around the pond (6 bases: 3 airfields and 3 vehicle) were capturable.  That was the only real time you'd see GVs being used in an offensive role.  If you wanted a successful sortie in a GV, you would have to go back to the base you spawned from and tower out.  Imagine having to drive your flak panzie/truck/jeep/T-34 for 3 hours to reach an enemy base, attack and then return all the way back to your base and tower out for a successful sortie.  6+ hours.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Scratchman

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2009, 06:32:52 PM »
An airplane knows when hes pursued or not. Spawning GVs dont know. An airplane only has to reach concrete and he knows He's safe. A GV has to run like Hell and pray nobody is around him.
With experience a good gv'er knows when he's being chased by a plane or enemy tank. And it's really a hoot getting the air boys to crash into trees, or killing them with the main gun. I can't tell you how many angry PM's I get when this happens. It's not that you have a bad idea, it's just most of us over time has learned what to do in those situations. And as such we don't really deem this as an improvement for more realistic game play. There may be a way that HiTech can pull this off, so who knows. Myself I would prefer to keep it as it is, since I mostly am a GV'er anyways.
Proud member of the Ground Pounders. Pounding our way to victory!

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2009, 07:38:50 PM »
OK, lets not get silly here. Im not talking about "holy ground" or "sacred tower pads" so theres no need for drama.

Im talking about making it easier for GVs to tower when they spawn in. Tower pads are an possible solution. Shortening the radius needed to tower is another. It would be the same for everyone and nothing "holy" for anyone.

An airplane knows when hes pursued or not. Spawning GVs dont know. An airplane only has to reach concrete and he knows He's safe. A GV has to run like Hell and pray nobody is around him.

I never said the tower pad and spawn point would be the same. Or even in the same area.

Theres only one topic to the thread. Frankly your getting far off base from it.

Not trying to get silly Rich (well, actually it was kinda funny... just hard to convey my dry sense of humor through text... never works and people think I am being nasty) ... but does a pre-placed pad make any sense?  I just dont see it.  No... you didnt say the pad and the spawn points would be the same... but near... making the area of the spawn point generally a safe area.  IMO it would make it way too easy to abuse the system. Sorry... but I am just going to have to disagree.  Perhaps there is a way to make it easier (like the all-clear signal that Ghosth suggested, or something someone hasnt thought of yet), but I just dont think this is it.  Shortening the radius needed to tower out might do it, but it would still have to be far enough that you arent in gun range of an enemy tank. *shrug*  Just think how mad it would make you for someone just suddenly poof away while you have been hammering him with rounds, and he lands 2 kills.

Yes... there is only one topic to the thread... adding Tower pads for GV's to run to.  But its not realistic.  I was simply trying to point out that GV's are different, and require different tactics, and solutions.  No point in beating a dead horse though.  You have your opinion and you are entitled to it... mine just doesnt happen to be the same.   

Soooo.... color me out on this one.  Enjoy  :salute
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 07:44:29 PM by AKP »

***G3-MF***

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2009, 07:54:37 PM »
I don't necessarily agre with the making of a pad to tower out at but I do think making it so you can only see friendly spawns has a lot of merit. You would actually have to work to find and cover the spawn point like they do now.

I really do think the way the system is now as far as towering out favors the GV anyway. I usually drive in a direction that is away from enemy and friendly base to tower out, this way you are going in a direction that no one will be looking for you.
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2009, 08:58:45 PM »
By my score, it is +3 AKP and -1 for Rich (due to the minor but completely unnecessary drama).

Oh, and +1 for Ghosth for offerring what appears to be a reasonable compromise.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2009, 01:12:44 PM »
By my score, it is +3 AKP and -1 for Rich (due to the minor but completely unnecessary drama).

Boy I wish there was an ignore feature in this forum.

To the rest of you thanks for the input.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2009, 05:01:46 PM »
By my score, it is +3 AKP and -2 for Rich (due to the minor but completely unnecessary drama).

Revised scoring for repeated oversensitivity.   :rofl
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."