Author Topic: Monitor Shutting Down  (Read 275 times)

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
Monitor Shutting Down
« on: August 11, 2009, 10:39:22 PM »
Every so often when playing Aces High my monitor shuts down.  I hear a click and the screen goes black.  I press the on button an it comes back on for a while thenm the same thing will happen again.  It'sd as if the monitor has lost the input and shuts down.  At first I thought it was my monitor ir video card but it only happens in Aces High.   I have tried several othe graphically intensive games shuch as Over Flandrs Fields, IL2, and Call of Duty without this problem.  It only happens when I play AH since the new version.  Any ideas?  I can spend an hour or more in Over Flanders Fields or IL2 without a problem.  My monitor will shut down within 15 minutes of starting AH. 
Balrog in game. Some day my performance may justify the name. LOL

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
Re: Monitor Shutting Down
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 12:29:51 AM »
Did you check the power settings on your computer? I'm betting the monitor is set to turn off after 15 minutes of no activity.

(in xp)

start - control panel - power options 

From there it should be self explanatory.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 12:31:48 AM by Delirium »
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 10:23:16 AM »
That may be a good point.  But does it explain why it never happened with AH before the new version and why it never happens in OFF or IL@? 

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 03:59:22 PM »
When I used a 20inch Veiwsonic CRT monitor with the last AH version, occasionaly I would get white screens then the dredded aceshigh.exe fatal error. I setup debugging to finally see what was happening. I had my screen saver set to hibernate my monitor and PC. The debug calls showed XP trying to turn on my screen saver and hibernation then the aces high going into an unrecoverable error state. Since then I've disabled screen saver mode and power saving mode in XP.

I thought years ago Skuzzy spoke about this issue and suggested with XP we turn those things of......... age and memory.......... :rolleyes:
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 05:53:21 PM »
It's not my power settings in control panel.  The monitor was set to turn off after 20 min of no activity.  I changed it to 1 min and started a tank sortie in aces high.  I sat in the tank without touching a key, mouse, or controller for over 5 min.  The monitor did not turn off.  I closed the game, went to the desktop and touched nothing.  The monitor turned off after 1 min.  The monitor did not actually turn off completely.  It went into a standby mode with a black screen and the LED in the on/off button flashing.  It came on again when I moved the mouse.  It was not necessary to use the monitor on/off button.   When the screen goes black on AH the monitor actually turns off.  I need to use the on/off button to turn it on again. 

I do not have my screen saver set to hibernate my monitor.

I have been using this monitor and computer for AH for over a year.  I did not experience this issue until I installed the new version.  I have made no changes to my computer settings or instslled sny new software since the new version camer out.  I don't believe it's my hardware because since the new version I have spent more time in Over Flanders Fields and IL2 than in AH and have not had a single occurrence of my monitor going black.  It seems to be unique to AH.  Skuzzy, are you out their?  I  am completely stumped.