Author Topic: revisiting CPU and MB choices....  (Read 397 times)

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
revisiting CPU and MB choices....
« on: August 12, 2009, 12:40:44 PM »
My recent experience rebuilding my wifes system has left me pondering a few things.

Before I go any further I want to clearly state that if your building a "serious gaming rig" there is no CPU other then Intel at this point in my mind. However once we drop down below that relatively high standard a lot of what I took to be gospel is suddenly suspect.

1)On Board video sucks and is useless in a gaming environment, further any MB with any onboard video is to be avoided at all costs since all can do is cause complications.

So....

The ATI 3300 (with 128M dedicated DDR3) appears completely capable of playing AH at 1024 with hi-res loaded and sliders set to max and AA in the middle setting at FR's of roughly 30 in all but the most taxing conditions with zero lag or stutter that I observed. Obviously CPU has some influence, the one I chose is the 550 black a "lesser" chip for gaming according to Toms current CPU guide. So this onboard video should do even better with a more gaming oriented CPU (or overclocking this one).

2) AMD sadly now makes junk

While any argument that AMD is "better" or even "as good" should immediately render the source as a noob the simple reality is that AMD appears to have once again obtained the status of "good enough". While the high end Intel offering are clearly dominant...how high end do you really need to go....and what if you simply can't afford the trip?

I am somewhat confused by AMD's current stance in the market. While continuing to develop "higher end" chips they are releasing a series of "black" processors that offer a significant measure of headroom for a steep discount vs the cost of the higher end CPU. It appears that I have the option of running my 550 either as an overclocked 2 core CPU or as a stock 4 core 945/955....all via the SB750 running AMD's own utility.

My thought is that this is much like Calloway and Titleist running "logo overstock" specials to move product.

So while I wouldn't recommend either an AMD CPU or any onboard GPU as an optimum solution I have to acknowledge that the combination of the 550 and SB750 southbridge on a board with the 3300 appears to offer reasonable performance out of the box along with a CPU that can run at 2 or 4 cores as required with nothing other then a change in bios via a menu option. Combine this with the upgrade path (CPU) and ability to run as many as 3 VC's (including the 3300) via hybrid crossfire and I think that the combination (I'd use a 710 vs a 550) deserves consideration for anyone on a budget...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Re: revisiting CPU and MB choices....
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 01:15:44 PM »
Here is a link to a comparison review with the 8400. Has some good 411 on OCing the 550 as well...
http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/pii550/12.html   

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 01:30:01 PM »
I've heard that the ATI 3300 is a pretty capable chip.  I've read a lot of glowing reviews on it although not nessesarily from a gaming perspective.  If I were building an HTPC though it would have to recieve strong consideration.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 01:36:46 PM »
Thats my take on it as well. To me it simplified the build and minimized overall cost. I didn't have any expectation that it would do anything but creep along on minimum settings. Obviously I was surprised that AH defaulted it to 1024 textures and that it delivered a very reasonable performance level at that setting.

Offline eagleheartone

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 02:36:07 PM »
Simple rig...i am using a DElll Demisoin 4700 (media), 2.8G amd....  simple GF GS250  vid card ( 1G ddR)... 4G of ram... nothing special... just a dell with a few cheap modifications.  Now I also put a 750W pwer supply, and went external poer on USB( x52/peddles).  This rig with all new updates, runs average 73-86 Frame rate, on full graphics...even seen 128 a couple times.  Seems that keeping it simple might be good at times...  This machine was bought in 2005, so no its not new....     Just a thought, and this rig is nowhere set for gaming, and its still puttering pretty good.. if this helps enjoy.. the little rigs can run hardy too.

Eagle.
Eaglehrt

CO.  5th SFG "S.O.A.R."

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 03:08:48 PM »
That is the standard upgrade that most if not all folks (including me) advise. Upgrade your VC and PS (if needed) and look to carry that over to a new build later. By no means is that a bad solution, in fact its probably the best course of action for most people. With my wifes PC that option wasn't possible. So normally you'll keep your OS, HD & Monitor and recycle the case if you can. So you need a MB, CPU, Memory & GPU.

The E7400 is $115 on newegg today and the 550 far exceeds it, the 8400 is $168.

Browsing the 700W+ PS's nothing decent under $100 (including rebate)

At todays prices a 250GS is about $110

MB can vary a lot, U can get a decent DDR2 board for as little as $80 add $30 for 2G of decent memory and your at roughly $500. You can do it for less but then you get to marginal levels...weak CPU or VC or PS and you still spend $400.

So to me to spend $238 total (after $30) rebate on the MB for a CPU/MB combo that will run well on a 400W 24pin ATX PS. I went ahead and ordered a 500W PS with a view toward upgrading the entire box for the future.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341016   

Now this isn't going run AH maxed out and I can't say with total certainty that it won't have any playability issues but for a person who either is forced to upgrade or is looking at building/upgrading a system but can't justify additional cost just for AH here is a basic mainstream build with decent playability and a solid overall performance level for varied applications.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 08:26:18 PM »
AMD is not junk! For a budget build they are great (Get one without the bug). They aren't as good as intel. Still give some pretty good performance at a very reasonable price.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter