Author Topic: Pressure?  (Read 214 times)

Hammerhead

Pressure?
« on: December 06, 2001, 02:15:00 PM »
I would like to know what is this manifold pressure, and how does water injection help to incease it?
Any greasemonkeys around?????   :D

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: Hammerhead ]

Offline Eagle009

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.eltroway.net:83/eagle009.html
Pressure?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2001, 02:25:00 PM »
I don't really know anything about engines so don't rely on my explanation 100%. I'm half sure this is what water injection does to your engine.
The manifold pressure is the actual power you're getting from your engine so really the RPM's wouldn't be the gauge you would look at if you wanted to know how much power you're putting out so you look at the manifold pressure guage for that. Now I think this is what water does for your engine, like the term manifold "pressure" I think the gas the water evaporates into helps to build pressure in the pistons (giving more of a push in turn means more energy) so bringing water into the mix might mean you get more power. The only reason I might be right about this is because I just finished my ground school for my private pilot's license this past August, but I'm only 18 with no experience around a real engine, just the reasoning and engineering behind them. So that's my 2 cents if it's worth anything. Like I said don't rely completely on me because I don't really know anything. I hope I help you out a little bit.   :p    :D

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Pressure?
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2001, 02:32:00 PM »
Hammerhead, manifold pressure is the pressure of the fuel/air mixture being pumped into the engine by the supercharger.  Higher pressure means more air is being squeezed in there.  The more air you have, the more fuel you can pump in there, and the more power you get from combustion.

Manifold pressure is normally limited by one of two things:  altitude and detonation.  As you go higher the air gets thinner.  So in order to maintain your manifold pressure you have to increase the speed of your supercharger.  Once it's running at full speed, you can't do anything more, and manifold pressure starts to drop as you go higher.  

So the superchargers are designed to make this altitude (called rated altitude) as high as possible.  A supercharger that is perfect for high altitude flight is oversized for low altitude flight.  This means at low altitudes they can actually create a lot more pressure than is normally needed.  If you run the supercharger at full speed at low altitude, you can create so much pressure that the fuel/air mixture starts to burn uncontrollably, something called detonation.  This is the same as pinging in your car engine.  It can damage your engine.

But if you inject water into the fuel/air mixture, you cool it down, and it won't detonate.  So you can safely run your supercharger at full speed at low altitudes, and make a heck of a lot of power.  The water injection also cools the fuel/air mixture (which increases power a little) and it keeps cylinder head temperatures from getting too high.

So the water injection doesn't directly increase the manifold pressure.  It just makes it possible to safely run more manifold pressure than would otherwise be possible.

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: funkedup ]

Offline fdiron

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Pressure?
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2001, 04:35:00 AM »
So theres actually water being sprayed into the cylinder?

Offline Jochen

• Copper Member
      • http://www.jannousiainen.net
Pressure?
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2001, 08:04:00 AM »
So theres actually water being sprayed into the cylinder?

Usually no.

Water is injected to supercharger inlet and once the spray hits quicly spinning turbine blades water spray turns to a very fine mist which can absorb tremendous amount of heat.
jochen Gefechtsverband Kowalewski

Units: I. and II./KG 51, II. and III./KG 76, NSGr 1, NSGr 2, NSGr 20.
Planes: Do 17Z, Ju 87D, Ju 88A, He 111H, Ar 234A, Me 410A, Me 262A, Fw 190A, Fw 190F, Fw 190G.

Sieg oder bolsevismus!

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Pressure?
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2001, 10:46:00 AM »
Simply put, manifold pressure is a measure of how hard the engine is gulping down the fuel/air mix supplied to it.

If you're used to driving cars or riding motorbikes, you're used to measuring developed power by looking at the rev counter. But in reality, that only tells you how much power the engine allowed to produce while weighed down by transmission gearing and vehicle weight, it doesn't tell you how hard the engine is "trying".

Think of it like this: You can see how much effort a runner is making by both seeing how fast his legs move, or by seeing how hard he is panting. Both are vailid, but they tell you different aspects.

As for the water charge, it may seem funny that you can improve a fire (fuel combustion) by throwing water on it, but it works like this:

The water is introduced as a very finely divided mist. This water mist sucks all the heat out of the incoming fuel/air charge (heat that was introduced by the supercharger compressing it to squeeze it into the engine); and, as hot things grow and cold things shrink, this means thecold fuel/air shrinks in volume, so you can squeeze more fuel/air into the engine.

And....

You don't really want a BANG! inside an engine, you want a burn. The more you can slow down that burn,the longer the expanding forces have to push down (or up, if you're German) on the piston head. Think of it like this: Which actually moves you physicaly accross the room, you're little sister's right upper cut, or your big brothers heavy push to the chest?

So it is with engines, and the water mist helped transfom the Bang! of the fuel/air explosion into the push of a controlled burn.

Offline Eagle009

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.eltroway.net:83/eagle009.html
Pressure?
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2001, 08:21:00 PM »
Yeah, what they said.   :p