Author Topic: Real WWII guys who play  (Read 3648 times)

Offline greens

• Silver Member
Re: Real WWII guys who play
« Reply #90 on: October 30, 2009, 01:14:13 PM »
the 357th has a squaddy who was in ww2 as a gunner in a bomber ask Limbo0 if you want info or PoolFool
_-=ELIM EAGLES=-_
in loving memory of OZ <Eagles21>
 miss you bro!

Offline alskahawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #91 on: October 30, 2009, 04:43:46 PM »
 Used to have a squaddie about 13 years ago that was in the Luftwaffe during the war. He was one of the youthful volunteers(conscripted). He was in his mid 60s when I knew him. He used to talk about his relatives. One of them flew Bf 109s during the BoB. And was shot down. Spent the war as a POW. Later married a Brit. Another who flew Henkels and was killed.

My father is one of the younger WW2 vets and he will be 84 this Nov 11. He went in in 1943 at the age 18. I had in addition to my father, 5 uncles who served. Only one is left and he is in his mid, late 80s.  So any survivors playing the game would be quite old. I can't imagine that they would be able to do much in the game.
 I would be very surprised if there were any WW2 vets that are actively playing AH.

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #92 on: October 30, 2009, 05:11:46 PM »
if this has not happened i am sure many in II/JG-27 would like to pay our respects as well ...

i know we are new here, i hope it would not be too much of an intrusion ...

+S+

t

I couldn't have said it any better myself.  This gentleman is truly my favorite person in AH.  Always has a positive attitude.  I enjoy talking to him whenever I see him online. 

Stampf, I would be honored to attend this night as well.  Please PM me.

#S#

Banshee7
THOR C.O. II ~JG-27~ Afrika-AH
Axis Co-Op
Quote from: any number of idiots here
blah blah Blah
Quote from: oldman
Good call.  Ignore the people who actually flew the real planes against each other.

Offline blutic

• Copper Member
« Reply #93 on: October 30, 2009, 07:10:54 PM »
"Boo"?
This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.—Dwight Eisenhower, April 16, 1953

Offline rod367th

• Silver Member
« Reply #94 on: October 31, 2009, 09:48:32 AM »

Alaska, Washington, Oregon, California, Arizona, Idaho, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, Texas, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota, Michigan and Iowa were the states hit.Detroit area was farthest thier bombing came, and mexico was hit. millions of acres burned but no one died to the bombing during the war. IT was against the law to report on bombs landing in america. They were afraid of chemical bombs and nerve bombs coming next if they knew how many were hitting American soil. ^ people did die from bombs in 80's. They found bomb put it in car started to drive home and it went off. A geologist in 1940s study the sand in bags for wieght and told us gov where bombs were being launched and we carpeted the island with bombs.

wow miltary channel says they died  1945 in oregon i always thought was after war i was wrong.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #95 on: October 31, 2009, 09:55:46 AM »
yeah was a bunch of kids on a picnic iirc, didnt detonate on impact but they found it later and it blew while they were playing with it.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline trigger2

• Silver Member
« Reply #96 on: November 01, 2009, 01:14:39 AM »
Believe it was Oregon.  It killed around 6 people, a pastor's wife and 5 of their Sunday school students that were in the woods.

Yup, can't forget about the incindiary dropped by a Japanese float plane attempting to ignite the forests of the area and cause panic. ;)

All in all, in Oregon, I believe there were 3 Japanese attacks...
The Fort Stevens Attack
Lookout Air Raid
and Fire Balloons.

http://www.cdsg.org/HDCRdata/stevensx.htm
http://web.oregon.com/history/hm/japanese_attack.cfm
http://www.faqs.org/docs/air/avfusen.html
yeah was a bunch of kids on a picnic iirc, didnt detonate on impact but they found it later and it blew while they were playing with it.

IIRC, they weren't designed to go off on impact, but rather on "touch" so to speak.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 01:19:30 AM by trigger2 »
Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are: You only
need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the
WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
*TAs Aerofighters Inc.*

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #97 on: November 01, 2009, 08:35:40 AM »
if this has not happened i am sure many in II/JG-27 would like to pay our respects as well ...

i know we are new here, i hope it would not be too much of an intrusion ...

+S+

t

Sorry Thor - I wasn't watching thread anymore.

Yes, for sure you and yours are welcome.  I will post something up in April.

<S>
- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #98 on: November 01, 2009, 08:42:31 AM »
thank you sir ...

+S+

t
THOR C.O. II ~JG-27~ Afrika-AH
Axis Co-Op
Quote from: any number of idiots here
blah blah Blah
Quote from: oldman
Good call.  Ignore the people who actually flew the real planes against each other.

Offline Ruler2

• Silver Member
« Reply #99 on: November 01, 2009, 08:44:04 AM »
Well, he's claiming the history books are wrong on that. And yes, he does say "Over" on VOX.

I know EXACTLY who you are talkin about now. He changed his gameID a while back,and I'm not sure which one of the accounts that have similar names is him.