Author Topic: WW2 aircraft engine starting systems  (Read 1082 times)

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
WW2 aircraft engine starting systems
« on: October 25, 2009, 06:49:18 AM »
Just out of curiosity I wanted to collect here several ways of what different ways and systems there were to start engines in WW2 era aircraft.

If I left something out please feel free to add what you know or correct if I have mistaken something.

1. Compressed air, auxiliary or internal compressor pushed air inside the cylinders to cause rotation.
2. Mechanical rotation of the engine from the spinner. (I-16?)
3. "Coffman starter" i.e. cartridge starter system in which the explosion gases of the cartridge are vented to cylinder causing rotation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffman_engine_starter
4. Hand cranked inertial starter. A crank is used to speed up an inertial weight which is then connected to crankshaft with a clutch to cause rotation.
5. Electric motor rotated inertial starter, speeds up an inertial weight which is then connected to crankshaft with a clutch to cause rotation. Usually an auxiliary battery is used to assist the electric motor and not to drain the internal battery.
6. two-stroke small engine to rotate the turbine (ME262)

Anybody know if any engine used a direct starter motor for engine roation?

-C+

"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
Re: WW2 aircraft engine starting systems
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 08:28:06 AM »
P51?
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 04:44:12 PM »
I thought the P-51 (Merlin Equipped) used number 5?

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 10:52:06 PM »
I think most warbirds now have direct drive starters instead of the inertia style starters.

Those inertia starters sound cool though as you "energize" them. <G>
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Simba

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 12:47:52 PM »
You've missed out 'four-stroke auxiliary power unit'; the Lancaster was started up by first powering up a twin-cylinder air-cooled motor derived from a pre-war Triumph motorcycle engine; although I guess you might include this in 1?

An example of 4. First WW2 aircraft I ever saw close-up was the dear ol' Fairey Swordfish, back in 1959. Dad had taken me to HMS Daedulus at Lee-on-Solent to see the trials of the first hovercraft, the SRN-1 - "new technology, son" - but I was much more interested in the old biplane near the perimeter fence. Two sweating mechs in overalls were facing each other on the port side and turning a handle. One called "let her go, Jack!", the pilot did the necessary, a wheezing noise was rapidly followed by a puff of smoke from the exhaust and the engine burst into life.

"What's that aeroplane, Dad?"

"Old technology, son. Hard to start, but she's an amazing sight, eh?"

Too right. The Stringbag will always remain my favourite aircraft: slow, cold, ugly as sin, the original 'Pusser's Nightmare' - but maintained and flown by hardy souls in weather conditions often so bad even the seagulls were walking.

:salute
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 12:49:38 PM by Simba »
Simba
No.6 Squadron vRFC/RAF