Author Topic: Huh?  (Read 454 times)

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
Huh?
« on: October 02, 2009, 10:23:55 PM »
Did all three of my bombers just get hit by friendly bombs? 
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Huh?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 11:27:22 PM »
I dunno, did they?

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 11:40:44 PM »
Dunno, I thought I saved the film but it's not in the folder.  I must have selected cancel instead of OK.  I really wish I could see that.

I was in a big buff mission, just had dropped on target and while still in the bombsight my plane started falling apart.  I caught a glimpse of a red guy and figured he had gotten my plane.  Ejected real quick expecting to end up in my other bombers but just kept falling.  Checked text buffer and it didn't have any kill messages.   :confused:

Friendly bombs was my only explanation, wasn't 100% sure friendly eggs could do that though.

Folks, play nice.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 11:57:38 PM »
The red guy could have shot up your plane, then got killed himself while you were still going down, before you finally "died".
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 12:53:16 AM »
Yeah but it was a bomber formation, I highly doubt he knocked out all three of my B-17s. 

Folks, play nice.

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 05:29:12 AM »
Dunno, I thought I saved the film but it's not in the folder.  I must have selected cancel instead of OK.  I really wish I could see that.

I was in a big buff mission, just had dropped on target and while still in the bombsight my plane started falling apart.  I caught a glimpse of a red guy and figured he had gotten my plane.  Ejected real quick expecting to end up in my other bombers but just kept falling.  Checked text buffer and it didn't have any kill messages.   :confused:

Friendly bombs was my only explanation, wasn't 100% sure friendly eggs could do that though.

OK!  Couple of things.  Firstly friendly bombs can't kill you.  We're assuming this was in the MA.  Secondly you really have to play around with game volume.  The defaults are way to loud even for clarity of vox.  Turn the engine sound down to 20% or less, depending on your sound system.  You can turn "external engine" up as far as 100% if you wish but this is a double edge sword.  Sure!...you'll hear the enemy fighter behind you but if your in larger bomber formations the friendly bombers will drown out that fighter and your vox.  You'll need a happy medium.  It's trial and error with internal and external engine sounds.  Mess about with wind, stall and gun sounds.  Turn the flak bursts way down and turn that pissing base siren off.

Another thing.....you said
Ejected real quick expecting to end up in my other bombers but just kept falling.

The key words I'm picking up here are "Kept falling".  You can only bail from the cockpit position.  You can hit enter a thousand times from the bombsite or gunner positions....you will NOT bail.  You needed to exit from the bombsite position you said you was in, to the cockpit.  Only from this position can you bail.  You can be in internal or external view from the cockpit and bail.  

What happens if you do not bail correctly and remain in a bombsite or gunner postion is this.  Your plane starts to go down.  After a certain altitude of decent your drones start to follow.  Eventually your lead bomber gets way ahead of the drones decent and the drones explode.  In the same way as turning to sharp and letting the drones slip to far off to the side.  Eventual your lead bomber will hit the ground or the forces will crush the air frame exploding you to tower.  

Sometime a lead bomber will just explode at a critical speed or critical damage as the forces crush the airframe.  If your lucky you'll be put into a drone that hasn't exploded yet.  This is a rare event.  

Once your lead bomber is going down no need to arse about mate.  Pop yourself into the cockpit and bail.  You will not have lost to much alt or airspeed for calibration of the drones.  You can instantly jump into a gun position to counter.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 05:33:23 AM by LYNX »

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 12:11:54 PM »
Alright, that answers my questions LYNX, thanks.

I wasn't sure about the friendly bombers, now I know.  And I didn't realize you had to be in the cockpit to bail.  That explains everything. Thanks.

Folks, play nice.