Author Topic: Lets talk water I want to add "deepness" and coral and all that jazz  (Read 556 times)

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
"need the info"

seriously how do i greyscale the water to give it simulated variations in depth and where are these 12 water textures?
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
Re: Lets talk water I want to add "deepness" and coral and all that jazz
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 01:06:39 PM »
Basically you create your own water textures. Their names are the same and the land textures but are wntt0001.bmp instead of ntt0001.bmp.
X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 01:15:45 PM »
Have you looked at the TEreadme.txt file in your Terrain Editor folder?

Go File » 'export water bitmap' - This will create 2 16384x16384 bitmaps named waterd.bmp and waterc.bmp. They will be in the texsrc folder.

Open the waterd.bmp in your graphics program.

You will see a black and white image of the terrain. Black (rgb 0,0,0) is water, White (rgb 255,255,255) is land. RGB values less than 255.255.255 will be water depth.

Now you can paint your new shorelines.

Once finished, save it as an 8 bit greyscale BMP in your texsrc folder.

Open the Terrain Editor, goto file »import water bitmap.

Your edited water will now display.

Hint for smooth water depth from shore - select color range 255,255,255 - create a new layer and fill selection with white. Duplicate this layer then blur it a few pixels to make a smooth shallow transition in the water.
You can also smudge this layer to create shallow transitions in water.

After you have your land/water done it's time to do the terrain types.

Open your Waterd.bmp with graphics program

Open your gndtype.bmp with graphics program - convert to greyscale.

Copy and paste onto a new layer within the gndtype.bmp the waterd.bmp. You will have to reduce the scale.

Select color range (255,255,255) on the resized color layer.

Now increase the selection size about 4 pixels. (Select - modify - expand in photoshops)

Create a new layer and fill selection with rgb 170 (ntt0010 - or beach/sand)

Save gndtype.bmp as 8 bit greyscale in the terrain folder overwriting the existing one.

Open your terrain in the editor - you should now see all sandy terrain and water.

From here you can go back into your graphics program and fill out the different types of terrain.

Water tricks tips.

Say you want to have some brown muddy lakes, next to greenish river which flows into a blue sea.
The editor is set up to use wnttXXXX bmps, which are underwater textures that correspond to the ground nttxxxx texture.

So wntt0001 would display wherever ntt0001 type turns into water. Hence HTCs setup for ntt0012 being snow/coral.
When we draw ntt0012 on land it displays as snow...but when you put water over it, it displays wntt0012 texture which is coral.

So if you want some brown ponds in your farm land, you could create a wntt0003, and wntt0004 texture.

It's pretty much open to whatever you can think of.

Also, since these textures are underwater, they don't need to be large textures, you can make them 256x256 or 128x128.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 01:26:31 PM »
Each color change is step in depth.

So 255,255,255 is land while 254,254,254 is the first step below sea level.

Now that said the deeper you go the more it obscures the water texture (the water become less opaque). At some point basically it will deep enough that you won't see the water texture at all through the water. I know this point is before 0,0,0 but I forget actually at what depth (color) it completely fades out.

X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 03:10:53 PM »
read the manual? pfft
Fester was my in game name until September 2013