Author Topic: Stuttering While Playing AH  (Read 334 times)

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
Stuttering While Playing AH
« on: November 21, 2009, 06:39:27 PM »
Hi Guys,

I discovered on my box that I was getting stuttering while playing---not excessive but just enough to annoy.  I got to messing around w/ various settings on my GTX 260 & found that when I reduced the pre-rendered frames setting in NV CP from the default of 3 to 1 the stuttering stopped. I also went into my in-game joystick set up & unchecked all scaling from all axis (putting all axis at full sliders & no deadband/damper). With these 2 changes my box's performance (measured in smoothness as well as FPS) improved noticeably.

From what I gathered from this is that stuttering can be caused by a vid card/CPU having too many frames rendered ahead which could "delay" control inputs causing the screen to "morph" or jump forward--ie, stutter. I had figured that increasing this number would help w/ this but was suprised that DECREASING this number would do the same. I actually tested my set up w/ the pre-rendered setting set to 0-all ran very good EXCEPT the screen froze 1 time for about 1/2 second. I figured that was pushing it w/ this 260 so I went back to 1. Have been golden here since.

Here is the rest of my set up:
MS Vista HP 64x w/SP2
Intel C2D E8600 OC to 4 GHz
EVGA 780i FTW mobo
OCZ Reaper 2 x 2Gb 1066 DDR2 kit
EVGA GTX 260 Vanilla OC to 648/1404/1200
OB SS & G-bit LAN
PC P&C 750 Silencer PSU
CH Products USB Hotas

I posted this so you would know what the GTX 260 is feeding so it's relavent.

If you're experiencing minor stuttering on the newer hardware you may want to check this out. Don't know if this setting exists in ATI CCC.

Hope this helps.

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline Pollock

• Nickel Member
Re: Stuttering While Playing AH
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 08:10:44 PM »
I am dealing with a vox stutter when I key mike were getting that also?

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 02:55:14 AM »
Probably it a background process issue but a look at a dxdiag report would help. Are you running onboard sound?
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 06:53:54 AM »
The game already triple buffers, so trying to have the video card do it own its own is not good thing.

The sound stutter issue is usually due to the sound card (onboard chips are far worse at this) sharing an IRQ with another high data usage device, and/or due to the sound card/chip/device being connected to the USB bus in conjuntion with other USB devices on the bus being used.

It can also be due to the computer running out of resorces and having to pause the game while it makes more room for the sounds to be played (onboard sound chips use 100% CPU and system RAM for all played sounds).

It can also be due to other programs using or having access to the sound card at the same time the game is running.

Possibly a very slow (i.e. 5400RPM laptop drive) extremely fragmented hard drive could contribute to it as well.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 06:55:48 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com