Author Topic: Can You Upgrade Ram in a Netbook?  (Read 443 times)

Offline oso831

• Zinc Member
Can You Upgrade Ram in a Netbook?
« on: November 13, 2009, 09:19:00 AM »
I have a HP Mini1151 NR it came with 1 Gig of Ram. I would like to increase it to 2 Gig. I am unsure of the type of Ram as the specs only say DDR2 and whether this process is feasible due to cost or ease of upgrade? I appreciate your wisdom on the subject. :cheers:
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 09:54:14 AM by oso831 »

Offline batch

• Nickel Member
Re: Can You Upgrade Ram in a Netbook?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 12:25:23 PM »
yes you can upgrade the RAM in that netbook..... cost between $40-$50 .......... and very easy to change........  it uses DDR2-667 laptop memory.......
"theres nothin like wakin up with a Dickens Cider" - Dickens Fruit Stand

Offline oso831

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 12:33:45 PM »
Thank you wasn't sure about speed  :rock It is just one module correct? So I would buy I 2gig module of Ram?

Offline batch

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 12:38:32 PM »
correct

you can easily open it up and take a look to verify what youre purchasing............ on the back theres a little cover ......... depending on the flavor you got some have little sliders to pop it open........ just have a little pry open slot.....if you take the small cover off the RAM is right there staring at you
"theres nothin like wakin up with a Dickens Cider" - Dickens Fruit Stand

Offline oso831

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 12:44:03 PM »
Awesome ......I appreciate the help didn't want to attempt it without some advice.  :aok

Offline DAVENRINO

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 06:47:06 PM »
Took me a grand total of 2 minutes to install 2 gigs in my HP 110.  Got it from Crucial for $60 shipped to Hawaii.
DAVE aka DJ229-AIR MAFIA
CH USB HOTAS/ONKYO 705 7.2 SURROUND SOUND/ 60" SONY A3000 SXRD  TV

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 10:58:32 AM »
We have a few of these cute little Atom-based netbooks at work.  Some of the senior staff have tried them on business trips.  The verdict: these little boxes are painfully slow, even if all you do is websurf and grab email.  If you need speed, you need a real laptop, IMHO.  I would weigh very carefully the cost of any netbook upgrades against the rather modest gains there are to be had in performance.  YMMV

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline oso831

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 07:38:20 PM »
For me this netbook has exceeded my expectations. I don't use it for more than checking my email and various accts when on the road. The built in modem and the small size makes it ideal for the travel scenarios I encounter. The additional ram was just to allow the ease of larger attachments to download, I'm not expecting a huge jump in performance. I have a larger laptop that is a beast so the netbook is nice to use when I'm traveling in tight quarters and don't want the hassle of lugging around the big boy. I think like everything it has its uses but, some might try to push the envelope regarding its capacity and effectiveness. :cheers:

Offline DAVENRINO

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 10:33:03 PM »
We have a few of these cute little Atom-based netbooks at work.  Some of the senior staff have tried them on business trips.  The verdict: these little boxes are painfully slow, even if all you do is websurf and grab email.  If you need speed, you need a real laptop, IMHO.  I would weigh very carefully the cost of any netbook upgrades against the rather modest gains there are to be had in performance.  YMMV

My verdict is neither lightning fast nor painfully slow.  I have transferred 10 DVD movies to mine in just over 20 minutes.  The portability and battery life are awesome.  It runs Skype or my Magic Jack fine for travel in other countries.  I will be taking my 14" HP when I go to Houston all next month but the Mini is great for short trips.
DAVE aka DJ229-AIR MAFIA
CH USB HOTAS/ONKYO 705 7.2 SURROUND SOUND/ 60" SONY A3000 SXRD  TV