Author Topic: TrackIR  (Read 461 times)

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
TrackIR
« on: January 05, 2010, 03:42:34 PM »
 Is this the only type out there and if not what types does AH support? Im looking to get one and just want to know the options. Does TrackIR 4 work well? Whats the diff between 4 and 5?
Thanks guys
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
Re: TrackIR
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 04:30:20 PM »
You might want to ask this in the Hardware section.  But...

I use TIR4 hardware with the TIR5 software.  Only problem is - can't (won't) fly without it anymore.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 04:35:10 PM »
Well I can't answer other options or know anything about the IR5 but I can tell you about my experience with the IR4.  I Love It!

I just use the hat clip that goes on a baseball cap, some people prefer the headset clip but I've had no problems with the hat clip.  It looks sillier but oh well.  :lol  It does take some people some getting used to, I know a lot of people just can't make that transition from a hat switch to just looking, but for me it only took a few days.  There are plenty of controls to fiddle with to adjust speed and responsiveness of the IR to your motion, so you can in time adjust it to something that works well for you.  Mine has a small "dead zone" strait forward so my cross-hair isn't moving around too much with small movements of my head.  Looking behind you can be tricky, but it's just another thing you'll learn with practice.

One thing you'll have to adjust is outside light.  I've got to make sure their are no lights shining in on the walls or it'll mess with the infrared reader thing.  

But I suppose you're already planning on getting one, so the advice I have is give it some time.  Once you play with it enough you'll end up getting used to it and really enjoy it.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 04:37:19 PM »
I have TrackIr4 I will sell for 50 bucks shipped to lower 48...worked great functionally but its just not for me.

Strip

Offline Ex-jazz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 04:59:11 PM »

It's tad disorienting after the view hat routine.

Once you get your TIR adjustments right and get use to those, it's a very very different flight experience in positive way.

I use TIR4 with TIR5 SW.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 05:00:04 PM »
Is this the only type out there and if not what types does AH support? Im looking to get one and just want to know the options. Does TrackIR 4 work well? Whats the diff between 4 and 5?
Thanks guys

I have 4 & was trying to use it with windows XP on my old PC & just did not care for it as my gun site was all over the place. Now that I have a new computer with Windows7 all the things I had issues with have disappeared. The main difference from what I have read is that the 5 has better head movement now as they improved the angles on the sensor so you can move closer to the screen now & not have it freeze up on you.

I would say go with the 5. :aok

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 05:07:12 PM »
 Excelent help Gents and sorry if this is in the wrong section. Strip Im sending you a PM

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 06:23:50 PM »
DrDea,

This would be a very similar setup to Ex-Jazz if you its something you go forward with.

Pm's sent your way...

Strip

Offline Nurminen

• Nickel Member

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 06:55:46 AM »
 Good stuff. I was talking to Shamus last night about this and he said he had one sittting in the box. Someone sent it to him and he didnt care for it so Im next on the list.Gotta love those squadies,then again Im sending one a vid card today so it all evens out. Thanks for the info and strip,thanks for the offer.  :salute

Offline potsNpans

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 07:23:34 AM »
If you don't go with Natural Point tracking system, you could also  make your own tracking gear system. Utilizing a free software program called FreeTrack, and build a tracking unit. Its an easy process and cost efficient system, which works excellent with Aces High and many other game profiles that support a tracking system program. http://www.free-track.net/english/freetrack/telechargement.php . Either way it will certainly add to the enjoyment of flying the friendly skies

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 07:30:10 AM »
I got the 5 otw ... Yeehaaww
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 08:37:46 AM »
If anyone has 5 sitting around, I would be interested in giving it a try.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 11:43:30 AM »
I am looking for a TrackIR4 or 5.  Just not in a hurry but Strip if yours is still available
let me know? If not then any anyone else who has one (prefer mint) sitting in a box
and want the same for it then let me know!  Thanks.

(edited to add - "anyone" = an AH community member who's been around for a while
and I recognize.  Does not apply to a two week free trialer who may take the $ and run)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 11:50:29 AM by Westy »

Offline 68Wooley

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 04:06:10 PM »
I use it in MS FSX and DCS Black Shark, but just can't get to grips with it in AH2. I seem to misjudge my pitch attitude all the time when trying to track a bad guy resulting in frequent augers.