Author Topic: Non AH computer question.....  (Read 372 times)

Offline chewiex

• Copper Member
Non AH computer question.....
« on: January 16, 2010, 07:37:47 AM »
Not sure where this should go seeing as how its not related to AH, just a computer question to Skuzzy or any other tech-minded individual. I have 2 pretty much identical laptops/notebooks. They are the older Compaq Evo N600c series. They both have the same OS, processor, etc. The question I have is how would I go about modifying the CPU core clock/speed in these? Is there a utility I can download and use to manually tweak system settings that I can't find in CMOS? Reason I'm asking is they both have a Intel Pent processor @ 1066Mhz. One of which is running at 1066Mhz and the other is under clocked at 768Mhz. I want to try and bump up the under clocked one to its full speed of 1066Mhz. I really don't know alot about PC's, but I do know that the slower clock on the one laptop has hurt the performance as compared to the faster clocked one. Any help here would be appreciated. I can post the DXDIAG if needed.

Please don't post to this if your going to flame or bash. I don't care if they are too old or weak to do anything special. I don't want to hear that they aren't worth messing with. They work fine for what I do with them, I just want the one to work better. Thanks in advance to those who offer insight.

:salute
A8Chustr
A8Chustr (Formerly A8Chewey, DasChewy) ..for a wounded man shall say to his assailant, if I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven. Such is the rule of honor. Lamb of God, Omerta from "Ashes of the Wake".

Offline MadHatter

• Copper Member
Re: Non AH computer question.....
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 12:07:26 PM »
Problem is the Compaqs are proprietary systems. Pretty much 99% of the time, major computer manufacturers use "locked" CPUs. These CPU are physically modified (Traces cut, etc.) to prevent overclocking or changing of the CPU speed. That being said tho, there are things that you can do to speed things up. I'm assuming you've already maxed out the RAM on both comps, (if not, I would suggest doing that first, it's easier and a whole lot safer) you can tweak the OS on the system to gather more performance out of them. A huge resource in that matter is www.overclock.net. It's a massive forum geared directly at tweaking and gaining every bit of performance you can out of a system (Just use the search function first). If you're using XP, I would suggest Hot Dogs Guide to XP Tweaking. I would suggest DL'n Lavalays Everest and running it. It will give you the exact specifications of your system. Cros your fingers and hope you see "Yes" under Engineering Sample. That means your comp does not have a locked CPU (that 1%) and you can overclock it. The forum I suggested will have many step-by-step guides on what to do. Just be warned tho. If you do, it will run hotter and you may end up frying the whole system. Either way good luck, let me know how it's going.
-MadHat
CO 81st Bomb Wing "Pogues"
"Carpet bombing is 100% accurate, the bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground."

Offline chewiex

• Copper Member
Re: Non AH computer question.....
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 01:41:34 PM »
Thanks Mad, I will check these things out.
A8Chustr (Formerly A8Chewey, DasChewy) ..for a wounded man shall say to his assailant, if I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven. Such is the rule of honor. Lamb of God, Omerta from "Ashes of the Wake".