Author Topic: Wireless card issue  (Read 445 times)

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
Wireless card issue
« on: January 12, 2010, 08:12:05 AM »
I've been having issues with my oldest XP machine so last night I transferred all documents and stuff to F and began format of C and reinstall of XP.  I pulled the wireless card out, pulled plugs on second hard drive and DVD.  Just left the VC and CD installed. 

No problems during install of XP sp1 till after I installed the wireless card and driver, but this, to me, is strange.  I can't connect to the internet, but wireless manager is reading full signal and connection to network. 

What am I missing?  I entered the 10 digit security code correctly.  I'm thinking it's something simple, but I'm just not getting it.

Ideas?

I can move the comp to another room and connect via wire, but I was hoping to not have to.  Is it possibly just a sp1 issue?

Thanks   :cheers:
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline Irwink!

• Nickel Member
      • http://msn.com
Re: Wireless card issue
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 10:43:47 AM »
Have you got your tcp/ip settings on the card configured correctly? IE: 192.168.1.x for example. If your router is not set to deliver addresses on demand (dhcp) you may need to set a static address in the card configuration. Just a guess.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 10:45:44 AM by Irwink! »

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 11:55:31 AM »
I have found that a if you power down your System then the DSL/Cable Modem and wait about 1 min.  Then restart your DSL/Cable modem wait for all lights to be in their normal state, power on your system and this should give you your reset.

If your running DSL/Cable modem and a router power all down and power up the Modem (wait for lights) Router then system.  If your still not connecting and using a router make sure the router assignment of DHCP has enough IPs to pass ie 192.168.1.100  -> 192.168.1.199  Depending on your router brand the 3rd and 4th numbers will vary.

Trouble shooting can start with trying to hard wire and see if you can connect.  Have you checked the Device manager for any ! Are you running any anti virus with a firewall installed make sure the firewall is allowing access to port 80

This is where I would start.

TD

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 01:50:04 PM »
I have found that a if you power down your System then the DSL/Cable Modem and wait about 1 min.  Then restart your DSL/Cable modem wait for all lights to be in their normal state, power on your system and this should give you your reset.

TD

DOH   :furious

I'll try that when I get home.

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 12:11:07 PM »
I finally realized that I had a corrupt install.  Several files were missing - Exploder didn't even load properly.  So, last night decided to to a complete reinstall.  Didn't reformat, just reinstall on existing XP partition.  Everything installed perfectly and during the updates (my XP is SP1) if flashes a warning about being low on disk space.  WTF?  I'm thinking it's a 60GB drive with nothing on it, was formatted a few days ago. 

Here, winblows decided to install on the F drive which is 40GB and had 35GB of music in it.  I had already called Microsoft to get a new code to validate installation and thought they might have a fit if I had to do it again after reinstalling on the C drive.  I moved all my crap from F to C and completed install and updates. 

Now it's basically a dual boot XP, with the C drive being a fluffied up install. 

My question is, can XP be completely removed from the C drive without formatting?  I didn't see the option on the disk.  I do have the 35GB of tunes backed up on another puter and can transfer back if needed, but I'd rather not have to do that again since I have to do it over the wireless and it takes hours to finish.

Offline MadHatter

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 01:58:57 PM »
Now it's basically a dual boot XP, with the C drive being a fluffied up install. 

My question is, can XP be completely removed from the C drive without formatting?  I didn't see the option on the disk.  I do have the 35GB of tunes backed up on another puter and can transfer back if needed, but I'd rather not have to do that again since I have to do it over the wireless and it takes hours to finish.

You will not be able to remove Windows using the disk. Sorry, once Windows is on, it's on. It's an OS, and the logic is you need one to run, why would you remove it? If I'm reading this correctly all your files are on the C: drive now with the bad install and F: drive has the good install? Try this, DL Ubuntu, (Linux), it will be able to read your C: drive (make it a boot disk, you won't need to install it onto a HDD) then remove the windows directory (assuming all your files are in a directory aside from it) That should work.
-MadHat
CO 81st Bomb Wing "Pogues"
"Carpet bombing is 100% accurate, the bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground."