Author Topic: Please no more big maps  (Read 1499 times)

Offline TW9

• Silver Member
      • http://www.tedwilliams.com
Re: Please no more big maps
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2010, 07:59:03 PM »
Small like Pizza and Trinity?  :D  I'd love to see Mindanao or even Pizza back though.  I think the first time I logged in trinity was up.  I took a guess and only fired at red planes.  Actually, that took ours since I was always the last to get to a bad guy.  Eventually, I figured that flying the 202 was not a good idea lol

lol well actually i was thinking b4 pizza and trinity though i did like pizza as well. good cv battles and canyon fights. and if there wasnt anything to do u could always have a little fun with the gv's since they spawned so close to the bases. Also it had some of the best resets with all 3 countries  fighting for that last high alt base near whoever was losing's hq.
Quote from: sax
The community lacks personality , thank #@# for TW9 or
there would'nt even be anyone --------- left .
Quote from: Krusty
Edit2: BAN the ass-hat. That's not skuzzy, that's a tard named TW9

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2010, 10:30:09 AM »
seems like a nice happy compromise between the long range bomer desires........and the small map/more action people...may be one large land mass......with a series of many small islands jutting out for many miles into the sea.

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2010, 02:04:45 PM »
I suck.....but this is the general idea.  and by the way...as an added bonus....if you look at my map and squint your eyes..you can see a john wayne gacey clown face.  I'm a giver.

it actually may make it a bit more fun to name each island.  "roger....flying sups into A233 on tarrowa now" ..and to make it more interesting...perhaps no air bases on that top row of islands...which could make fighting on that smaller center island a lot more interesting.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 02:26:05 PM by ZetaNine »

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2010, 02:47:13 PM »
I suck.....but this is the general idea.  and by the way...as an added bonus....if you look at my map and squint your eyes..you can see a john wayne gacey clown face.  I'm a giver.

it actually may make it a bit more fun to name each island.  "roger....flying sups into A233 on tarrowa now" ..and to make it more interesting...perhaps no air bases on that top row of islands...which could make fighting on that smaller center island a lot more interesting.

(Image removed from quote.)

I ll pay you 10$ for Bikini Island
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2010, 03:11:41 PM »
But it doesn't even look like a bikini...................   :P

See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2010, 05:51:53 PM »

radioactive    :uhoh

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2010, 06:21:25 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

I like your map and island idea.  Just gotta make sure each country has a fair and even starting position.  Personaly it has a little too much open water for my taste, but I also am not a fan of the mega-ultra-size cymetrical MA maps we have now.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2010, 06:25:45 PM »
Only small maps? No thank you.
It was a happy day for me when the big maps came back up. Variety & choices are the way to go.
variety and choices and cough tactics cough
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2010, 07:36:05 PM »
I like your map and island idea.  Just gotta make sure each country has a fair and even starting position.  Personaly it has a little too much open water for my taste, but I also am not a fan of the mega-ultra-size cymetrical MA maps we have now.

the idea of so much water is to allow some of the long range bombers their fun....with most of the other battles going on in a smaller more compact mainland area..below center. (a little give and take for both sides)

I happen to dig naval battles from time to time...and they are rare...so perhaps all that open water could call for more CV's....  I also like the idea of the upper tier of islands on top not having any air bases...just Vbases and Ports

agreed on the fact that the starting positions must be equal...

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2010, 05:45:56 PM »
the idea of so much water is to allow some of the long range bombers their fun....with most of the other battles going on in a smaller more compact mainland area..below center. (a little give and take for both sides)

I happen to dig naval battles from time to time...and they are rare...so perhaps all that open water could call for more CV's....  I also like the idea of the upper tier of islands on top not having any air bases...just Vbases and Ports

agreed on the fact that the starting positions must be equal...

Starting positions dont need to be symetrical though, just "average equal".  That's what I dislike about most of the current MA maps, but at the same time to creat equality without symetry is a bi... beast, so my hat is off to you if you undertake this.  Key things would be number of bases and types (equal types, altitudes, distances from strats/HQ, vehicle spawns, etc..  ), distances from base to base, distances of front line base to opposing frontline bases (when the map first starts), aproaches/access to targets/areas (IE: britania has a bunch of 10k mountains around it's HQ/city area, an uneven disadvantage is if the island countries had their HQ/strats at sea level and within reach of an off-shore CV's guns), etc..

I love naval battles too.  One thought comes to mind with all that open water, is that you could have a lot of ports and a lot of CVs maybe.  If they were all operating in the middle oceans a good amount of time then I can see frequent fleet vs fleet encounters, but they'll be random, sporatic... and likely most of the time if two CVs coem within guns range on each other, no player might not be around ot even see it before tboth fleets extend away.

If there is a low number of CVs limit, or if you want to increase the frequency/likelyhood of this happening, then lowering the amount of open water, creating more narrow "channels" between bases/islands (similar to what I see in a lot of the current MA many-island maps), or basicaly anyhting that funnels the CV movements into particular areas, will increase the likelyhood of contact.  I personaly like your open water idea more if you can get the map to support enough fleets for each side that they're bound to stumble into one another out there in all that water.  Might be fun to see what it would spawn in the player base, maybe more anti-CV missions based off of carriers or coastal airbases.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.