Author Topic: Smoke and Wreckage  (Read 1113 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Smoke and Wreckage
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 01:15:35 PM »
When everybody has a constant 100mB fiber pipe at their house, then it might work. 

The biggest load is not on connection data rate, but CPU & GPU.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 01:22:13 PM »
limit the wrecks per sector..  tinker to find the sweet spot..

hell even 50 per sector would produce a nice effect.  after 50 each new one removes the oldest.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 01:29:25 PM »

Actually, the server would have to keep the data around and transmit all of it upon your entry into the arena.  I cannot fathom the amount of resources this could take.  It certainly would not be pretty.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 01:32:57 PM »
I was slightly esoteric in my comments, but I did expect a little more from you (cause I know you are "the man") ...... Point being by that point in time a computer's processors will far exceed the most vivid of imaginations.  At this moment in time, not including the "3rd world," still less than 40% of people have internet access, much less a super fast pipe. 

SO.... At the time of all countries running fiber or whatever is new and better to EVERY person in that country, by then we would have C/GPU's that not only could run 25,000 FPS, have 1000 applications in the background but also make you eggs in the morning.
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 01:34:42 PM »
And servers of today would be in the Smithsonian.   :aok

Actually, the server would have to keep the data around and transmit all of it upon your entry into the arena.  I cannot fathom the amount of resources this could take.  It certainly would not be pretty.
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2010, 01:42:29 PM »
The server is not an issue.  The amount of time needed to get everything setup at arena entry time could be huge.

Time is not going to slow down the ability of HP to produce dog slow computers the masses will eat up because they are cheap.  If it was just a CPU issue, it would be easy.  An umpteen core CPU running at 1THz is still going to be a slave to slow system RAM and even slower video chips as it pertains to a game system.

Don't get me wrong.  I have always thought a persistent battlefield would be cool, but it simply is not practical for any long period of time, where several hundred players are playing all the time.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 01:45:31 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline drfritz

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2010, 04:18:08 PM »
hey skuzzy could it be something that could be molded in for fso events and snap shots? not talking every crash plane but something you all do on your end during the set up of the event.