Author Topic: stall limiter  (Read 1635 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: stall limiter
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 09:29:26 PM »
ok AKAK what about pulling out at low alt with p38L, whicn has dive flaps, and Ive never had troublw with compression

Again, I am willing to bet that each one of your augers is due to you overspeeding and not being able to recover in time before you hit the ground.  I am also willing to bet that you're not deploying the dive flaps correctly (should be deployed just before you enter the dive) which is causing them not to provide the proper lift.

And yes, you do have a problem with entering compression.  I have films of you augering in a duel because you were too fast and couldn't pull up in time before you hit the ground.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline groundfeeder

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2010, 08:26:53 AM »
auguring isn't one of my problems....with the stall limiter off at altitude. i don't seem to have a problem with it, as a matter of fact, the stall limiter on seems to screw up my wingovers and hammerhead type of maneuvers.

One tactic i did notice it wont help with is if i am trying to outclimb an opponent and at a high AOA, and hanging it on the prop for as long as i can, then snapping toward the p-factor to six the enemy, with the stall limiter on it just drifts off slowly and "wobbles" a bit.

My issue is when low to the ground in a high G turn fight. The nose of the aircraft tends to drop off in a series of dips, thus slowing my turn rate.
With the stall limiter on, the nose will dip slightly, with no significant loss in turn performance (most evident in spits) I also have noticed in recent days, as i have payed more attention, that i can tell if the person i am chasing has the stall limiter on or off when i witness the same "dips" as i had previously experienced.

In two cases i was easily able to shoot them down (both cases where in similar aircraft  IE spit 8 on spit 8 etc.)

I have no idea what the skill level of the pilots where, but the end result was a little telling.

Are there any specialty maneuvers used low to the deck that anyone employs?

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2010, 12:22:36 PM »
auguring isn't one of my problems....with the stall limiter off at altitude. i don't seem to have a problem with it, as a matter of fact, the stall limiter on seems to screw up my wingovers and hammerhead type of maneuvers.

Those maneuvers require you to ridge the edge, which the Stall Limiter prevents you from doing.  Disabling will allow you to perform those maneuvers to their fullest extent that you wouldn't be able to achieve with the Stall Limiter enabled.

One tactic i did notice it wont help with is if i am trying to outclimb an opponent and at a high AOA, and hanging it on the prop for as long as i can, then snapping toward the p-factor to six the enemy, with the stall limiter on it just drifts off slowly and "wobbles" a bit.

Again, see the above explanation as it also applies here.

My issue is when low to the ground in a high G turn fight. The nose of the aircraft tends to drop off in a series of dips, thus slowing my turn rate.

See the above explanations again.  I hope you're starting to see the pattern...the Stall Limiter is not allowing you to maximum out of your plane because it's not letting you fly on the edge of the envelope.

With the stall limiter on, the nose will dip slightly, with no significant loss in turn performance (most evident in spits) I also have noticed in recent days, as i have payed more attention, that i can tell if the person i am chasing has the stall limiter on or off when i witness the same "dips" as i had previously experienced.

In two cases i was easily able to shoot them down (both cases where in similar aircraft  IE spit 8 on spit 8 etc.)

The Stall Limiter is a good learning tool and that's it.  Beyond helping new and inexperienced players get a feel and understanding of the flight model, it's useless.  With it enabled, you will always be at a disadvantage against someone that doesn't enabled as they'll be able to achieve a higher AoA and ride the edge of the stall which you won't be able to do with the Stall Limiter enabled.

Are there any specialty maneuvers used low to the deck that anyone employs?

There are a number of maneuvers you can use in a fight on the deck depending on the situation. 

ack-ack

"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline LethalAmmo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2010, 06:09:37 PM »
I've been in AH for about 3 weeks now, over from FA. I turned off stall limiter day 3. When you're flying a zeke on base defense, most of the time you'll be flying on the edge of a stall. I tried with limiter on and to me it felt like i was flying a b17 rather than a zero. Just my 2 cents.