Author Topic: Perk the D7!  (Read 2141 times)

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
Re: Perk the D7!
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2010, 03:42:44 PM »
its the best WW1 plane - only the spad and the se 5 have a chance against it.  i said its the only plane that would be flown even after they introduce neu. 17s and such. 

The only reason to fly anything else is for aesthetic reasons.
I respectfully disagree. I feel that the F.2B is THE premier plane in the WWI arenas. It is highly maneuverable, as I can keep it in turns with the Dr.I until we super flat turn, and out turns the D. VII, but not the Camel. The F.2B is the fastest craft in the arena, and can out run all of the aforementioned craft. It may have what seems to be a light gun package with only one forward firing gun, but that gun has the largest ammo load of the planes, with 923 rounds, all of which are more than sufficient to kill planes with. The rear gun is useful in turning fights as it can elevate into a position where it can properly lead the turning aircraft, as well as keep tail chasers away. The plane might not be sturdy in a dive, but none of the WWI craft are sturdy enough to survive a 160 mph dive. The F.2B can keep on trucking with many holes in the wings/tail/everywhere, and return to base as well. Therefore, the D. VII sucks, is not the best WWI plane, and should not be perked so I can pick off all the easy targets in my F.2B.

:aok
InGame ID: Cairn
Quote from: BillyD topic=283300.msg3581799#msg3581799
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2010, 03:46:22 PM »
I don't really get what's so great about the D.VII... it doesn't turn well (in fact I think it may be the widest turning plane in the arena), doesn't have good sustained climb, and it isn't even the fastest plane... It has better E retention than the Dr I I guess...

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2010, 04:08:55 PM »
I don't really get what's so great about the D.VII... it doesn't turn well (in fact I think it may be the widest turning plane in the arena), doesn't have good sustained climb, and it isn't even the fastest plane... It has better E retention than the Dr I I guess...

The best forward view, rather docile stall characteristics, and the easiest gun sight to use.(for me anyway)
I don't think I would call it the best though. It can be defeated by both the Dr1, and the camel quite handily.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2010, 05:02:40 PM »
I would say that it's closer to the P51, since it's fast and has good zooming capabilities, but can't turn very well.

The D.VII can turn very well, the problem is that people don't know what the strength and weaknesses of the other planes they fly against.  Of course, if you're in a D.VII and fighting against a Camel or Dr.I in a right handed you're going to think the D.VII isn't a good turner but take that fight and make the turns to the left and things don't look so rosey for the Dr.I and Camel.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline bravoa8

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2010, 05:06:20 PM »
I don't see anything great about it either... :headscratch:

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2010, 05:06:56 PM »
I respectfully disagree. I feel that the F.2B is THE premier plane in the WWI arenas. It is highly maneuverable, as I can keep it in turns with the Dr.I until we super flat turn, and out turns the D. VII, but not the Camel. The F.2B is the fastest craft in the arena, and can out run all of the aforementioned craft. It may have what seems to be a light gun package with only one forward firing gun, but that gun has the largest ammo load of the planes, with 923 rounds, all of which are more than sufficient to kill planes with. The rear gun is useful in turning fights as it can elevate into a position where it can properly lead the turning aircraft, as well as keep tail chasers away. The plane might not be sturdy in a dive, but none of the WWI craft are sturdy enough to survive a 160 mph dive. The F.2B can keep on trucking with many holes in the wings/tail/everywhere, and return to base as well. Therefore, the D. VII sucks, is not the best WWI plane, and should not be perked so I can pick off all the easy targets in my F.2B.

:aok

The D.VII out turns the Bristol, the only thing it has over the D.VII is a higher top speed.  Nor can the Bristol turn with a Camel or Dr.I in right handed turns and barely is able to stay with either of those in a left handed turn.  D.VII has no problems at all turning with a Camel or Dr.I to the left, only to the right but can use its slighter better power to go up into a stall loop or Yo Yo off angled to the left to counter their right turns.  Something the Bristol can't do.  Honestly, the only time the Bristol is any sort of a threat in the arena is if it is packing a gunner along for the ride.

ack-ack

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2010, 05:09:22 PM »
I don't see anything great about it either... :headscratch:

The Allies feared it.  It was the only airplane specifically mentioned as part of the conditions for the armistice when the Allies stated that Germany must surrender all serviceable D.VIIs in good working order.

ack-ack

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2010, 03:03:01 PM »
The best forward view, rather docile stall characteristics, and the easiest gun sight to use.(for me anyway)
I don't think I would call it the best though. It can be defeated by both the Dr1, and the camel quite handily.
turn right not left :aok suddenly youre winning the battle
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2010, 02:29:27 AM »
turn right not left :aok suddenly youre winning the battle

Actually since he is talking about flying the D7 and getting beat in turns by the D1 and F1 it would be the other way around...
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH