Author Topic: killing HQ  (Read 641 times)

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
killing HQ
« on: September 27, 2010, 01:33:55 PM »
sooo ... some squaddies and I did an HQ run in mossies. 4 formations and a single loaded with cookies. 1st pass 3 formations and a single dropped (total 40k) within 20s, all perfect drops with direct hits. the 4th formation miscalibrated so turned around for a second pass, another 12k hit the HQ (total 52k) within 6-8mins of the first bombs. this had no effect at all ...  :headscratch:

some 8-10 mins later another squaddie dropped 12x2k (24k) on it and received an "object destroyed" message, but HQ stayed up and still no effect on radar.

on landing I got 2000 damage points but no perks (I was lead so must have killed the AAA on the HQ roof), but no one else got any damage points or perks.

Is it still the case that you just have to drop 36k on the HQ flak tower only? (ie. you dont have to kill the other buildings?) and any other ideas why it didnt go down?
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
Re: killing HQ
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 07:04:04 AM »
97 views, no replys :lol
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 07:42:09 AM »
I wish I had an answer for you.

HQ hardness is 37,500 lbs. If a convoy from the City was just outside the HQ when you dropped on it, it could have resupplied it before the last formation dropped. Did every bomb hit the building? Films and anecdotal evidence or impressions are very different sometimes.

The other question is about the cookie bomb. I haven't tested it yet. The 2,000 lb. and 4,000 lb. bombs are not actually 2k or 4k of ordnance. The 2,000 lb. bomb is equivalent to only 1,718 lbs. of ordnance. I'll try to test to cookie and see what I come up with.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 09:14:10 AM »
ahh very good point about damage points. I'd be interested to know what the cookie does. if it was just a scaled up GP bomb like the 2k my guess ~3000 damage, but as a thin-walled cannister bomb its going to have alot more than double the charge of the 2k GP bomb, and hence greater damage.

I was observing the drops fully zoomed in F3 mode and saw the individual hits on the HQ (although I suppose lag might invalidate this), I wanted some screenies from the film anyway but forgot to save it :furious

edit: given the less than 4k damage per bomb, and the drones not directly hitting HQ, and the delay before the last formation came back for a 2nd run I reckon we were juuuuuuust short of the required damage in a short enough time.  :uhoh
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 09:17:44 AM by RTHolmes »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 10:03:10 AM »
I just tested it and it's 3,200 lbs. Also, a resupply convoy in between runs could restore about 9,400 lbs. of damage. So, I'd agree that you were short. You aren't the first, and probably won't be the last, to think the HQ should have gone down after a run.  ;)