Author Topic: Quirk with new "Other's self shadow"  (Read 423 times)

Offline Knite

• Silver Member
Quirk with new "Other's self shadow"
« on: April 09, 2010, 09:32:23 AM »
Hey Skuzzy,

Last night patched up and tried playing. Turned on the "other's self shadow" option, and things seemed to work fine until I got into a furball. My rock solid 60fps dropped literally to 0, the game appeared to freeze up, I got a message that detailed settings were being dropped to minimum, then UDP switched to TCP/IP, and then the whole game dropped me to desktop.
I went back in, tried again, and same thing happened.
Then I went back in a 3rd time, switched "self shadows" down to 2048 size, left the "other's self shadow" on, and everything worked fine like nothing happened.

Dunno if "bug report" is really the right place to go, but I was thinking maybe to suggest a warning be put in game to cut your "self shadow" map in half before switching on "other's self shadows" could avoid others reporting the crashes I saw?
Either way, by cutting the self shadow map down to 2048 everything's running silky again so I'm not having a problem anymore, just thought I'd let you know. =)

And just for reference :
Res - 1920x1080, 4xAA, full graphical options are on. Self Shadow map 4096 (crashed since patch), 2048 (solid)
CPU - Intel C2D E6420 @ 3.2GHz
RAM - 4GB DDR2
GPU - ATI Radeon 5770 1GB Ram - Stock Clocks

I'm at work so if you need the dxdiag I would have to get later, but I know the makes/models of each component so if that'd help I could supply too.
Knite

39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"

I'm basically here to lower the 39th's score :P

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Quirk with new "Other's self shadow"
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 02:36:26 PM »
The video card ran out of resources.  Not a bug.  You had the texture size of the shadow too large to run with both shadow options enabled.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com