Author Topic: Reasons NOT to have jet fighters- other ramblings too  (Read 1874 times)

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
Reasons NOT to have jet fighters- other ramblings too
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2001, 10:17:00 AM »
staga... how about a late war/fast plane only arena instead?

Guys.. the f4f-3 was flying in august of '40  It was fixed wing, light and very fast on the deck and had good climb (around 3400fpm) it was a better plane than the -4 except for lack of armour and self sealing tanks (they were retrofitted in 41)  

urchin, I love early and mid war planes myself and yawn at most late war "fights" but... I don't think that all that many like early war sooo.. have early war only a day or four (it can be adjusted) in the begginng of the tour.   The bulk of the people like mid war... it has the best selection of planes with parity and variety..  make it the bulk of the tour.. 90% o9r so... let the jets and other freaks fly a day or so at the end.

It just appears that HTc is painting themselves in a corner here by adding later and later and faster and faster planes.
lazs

Offline Professor Fate

• Copper Member
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2001, 11:04:00 AM »
<Bodhi>  
2. You should also take into account the fact that there were other jets besides the german ones on the scene at the same time during the war. Dehavilland's Dh100 MkI Vampire was flying in early 1943, with production started in '44. Gloster's Meteor was seeing combat against the buzz bombs in 44. As was the P-80 in 1945.  

The Vampire was a cool plane but I didn't think it had the capacity to make it across channel AND fight until late 45?

[ 07-16-2001: Message edited by: Professor Fate ]

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2001, 11:40:00 AM »
Originally posted by lazs1:
staga... how about a late war/fast plane only arena instead?

Guys.. the f4f-3 was flying in august of '40  It was fixed wing, light and very fast on the deck and had good climb (around 3400fpm) it was a better plane than the -4 except for lack of armour and self sealing tanks (they were retrofitted in 41)  

urchin, I love early and mid war planes myself and yawn at most late war "fights" but... I don't think that all that many like early war sooo.. have early war only a day or four (it can be adjusted) in the begginng of the tour.   The bulk of the people like mid war... it has the best selection of planes with parity and variety..  make it the bulk of the tour.. 90% o9r so... let the jets and other freaks fly a day or so at the end.

It just appears that HTc is painting themselves in a corner here by adding later and later and faster and faster planes.
lazs

Good ideas lazs.  I really would enjoy early war rides against other early rides.  However, I like flying a variety of planes so limiting the early war only set to a few days appeals to me as I can still be a Spit dweeb after a few days, tho if you gave me a Spit I, I'd fly it in the early war set.  

Like I said before, I'd really enjoy seeing the early war planes get modelled so we can use them in the Snapshots and Chk 6! events (yeah, I know this doesn't appeal to you that much lazs, but hey, you might enjoy a Midway scenario with F4Fs and early Zekes!)
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2001, 12:00:00 PM »
How can you say no to this stubby little fighter?

I'd be happy even with it in British colors as a Martlet:

Just gimme a damned F4F-3!!!
-SW

[ 07-16-2001: Message edited by: SWulfe ]

Offline AN

• Copper Member
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2001, 12:28:00 PM »
It's not as good as a P-40, but if we got an F4F with the yeller wings, I'd be almost as happy.

anRky

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2001, 12:31:00 PM »
I'm surprised you didn't notice what's in the background of the Martlett (F4F-3 in Brit colors) picture anRky...

Squint a little and I think you'll see something you want as well.   ;)
-SW

Offline AN

• Copper Member
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2001, 12:40:00 PM »
Oooh, I didn't notice.  And it's got a yeller nose, too!

anRky
(likes yellow on airplanes--it's one of the few colors I can actually see  :) )