Author Topic: CH Products : Fighterstick Trim wheels  (Read 1186 times)

Offline DeltaFox

• Zinc Member
CH Products : Fighterstick Trim wheels
« on: June 23, 2010, 09:14:59 AM »
Hi,

1st, a little introduction:
Been playing AHII 4 years on an old Dell and Saitek AV8R-01 twisty stick on DSL.  I have not played all that great, though is still fun.  Just built my 1st scratch built PC, based on the i7-920 chip, Asus P6T Deluxe V2 motherboard, 6 gigs Corsair DDR3-1600 ram, Radeon HD5770 card.  Still doesn't play well.  Wonder if my DSL router at 4MB/sec download speed is the culpret?  Also just got me 2, GeForce GTX 260 cards to try out and experiment, on closeout at BestBuy.  Have not attempted overclocking it, yet.  Roadrunner cable broadband at 10MB/sec and fiberoptics is probably in my future.  Well, will venture over to the other forum and try and work it out.

Next step is all CH products: Fighterstick or yoke, Pro Throttle, rudder pedals, maybe.  I see FlatIron is relatively happy with his.

I have read in the forums here that the Fighterstick trim wheels do not function well in the Aces High sim as trim adjustment.  My AV8R stick I can map in trim to the toggle switches.  This Saitek stick is sloppy in the controls as it has aged.  So, you guys using the Fighterstick or even the yoke, how do you go about setting buttons or whatever you use to setup the trim?  How do you map it?

I just built me a scratch built PC, solo, and am still a newbie at it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Offline CRYPTIC

• Nickel Member
      • 365th-FBG  HELL HAWKS
Re: CH Products : Fighterstick Trim wheels
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 09:54:45 AM »
They are not trim wheels they are to make adjustments for your pots. Center them and leave them alone. The one on the left can be used for throttle if you like to.
365th-FBG Hell Hawks XO
365th-FBG Hell Hawks

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 10:08:10 AM »
What does making adjustments to your pots mean? How would you know what you were accomplishing?

Personally I have my elevator trim mapped to the fighterstick and the others to my throttle.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 12:15:05 PM »
As mentioned in a previous post, the dials on the right and bottom of the Fighterstick are only for 'trimming' the potentiometers and not the aircraft flight controls.  You do not want to much these dials at all after you've calibrated.

The 3rd dial (the one on the left side of the Fighterstick) is your throttle and you can assign other functions to this dial like RPMs.  This you do within Aces High.

I've got a hatswitch on my Combat Stick that I've programmed my trim controls to.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 12:24:44 PM »
To elaborate further, the pot trim wheels are to compensate for flakey axis pots or springs.  It basically skews the pot input to allow you to have the stick centered when in reality you'd have to hold it a little off-center because your springs are worn or the pots are going bad.

Trying to use them as flight control trim wheels will cause you to go insane while trying to keep your bird flying straight.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 03:11:44 PM »
Say your stick gets a little sloppy and you have to keep a little forward pressure on it to keep the plane flying level,or to keep the autopilot on. giving the trim wheel a small adjustment will take the slop out so you don't have to keep any pressure on the stick.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 08:16:22 AM »

I've got a hatswitch on my Combat Stick that I've programmed my trim controls to.

ack-ack
Now I know what I can set my castle hat switch up for! Tnx.  :)
Lighten up Francis

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 08:47:39 AM »
Now I know what I can set my castle hat switch up for! Tnx.  :)

hehehe...yeah, I've got the castle switch on my throttle set for elevator and aileron trim.   :D

I still have some stuff on my stick unassigned.  Maybe I'll try programming my CH stuff if I ever figure out what else I might need - without over-taxing my little brain with too many things.  ;)
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals