Author Topic: whoops forgot to mention this...  (Read 1118 times)

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
Re: whoops forgot to mention this...
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2010, 03:22:54 PM »
That is correct.  In The Great War we had not yet used naphthenic and palmitic acids as the thickening agents in our incendiary arsenal.

But napalm is easier to spell than incendiary........   :D

See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Tinribs

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2010, 03:57:59 PM »
Incendiary bombs are what you want for dropping on towns I believe, we got plenty of them over here were still pickin em out of the Thames.
Not using our hands of course cos that would be daft.
Err read em all through fellas. :rolleyes:
I carnt relax cos I havent done a thing and I carnt do a thing cos I carnt relax.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2010, 04:34:16 PM »
That is correct.  In The Great War we had not yet used naphthenic and palmitic acids as the thickening agents in our incendiary arsenal.

But napalm is easier to spell than incendiary........   :D

In 1942, chemistry professor Louis F. Fieser, along with his team at Harvard developed napalm.  They found that powdered aluminium soap of naphthalene with palmitate mixed with gasoline shot further out of flame throwers and burned slower at a higher temperature.

I think you are correct, Napalm didn't come around until I think Vietnam, what they had in WWII was much like Napalm, but was not as thick. And incendiary sounds about right...

Technically speaking, true napalm wasn't used in Vietnam.  Another solvent, Napalm-B was used instead and was made up of polystyrene and benzene mixed with the gasoline.  Supposedly was supposed to be safer and more reliable.  What was used in WW2 and Korea was true napalm.

correct me if I'm wrong. but i don't think they were call napalm bombs back then but incendiary bombs.

6 of one, half dozen of another.  Incendiary is just a classification that covers ordnance of that type, napalm being within the class of incendiary weapons. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2010, 04:37:51 PM »
Thank you for clearing that up, Ack-Ack
Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost
"Uncommon valor was a common virtue." <S>

Offline Tinribs

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2010, 04:58:51 PM »
I just read up a bit about the blitz in London and it seems ack ack is right they did use napalm as well as phosphorous and magnesium bombs,the napalm was very effective where as the other types were not as they often failed to ignite,the dud bombs got shovelled up and dumped in the river Thames which along with the thousands that also fell in the river explains why we keep finding them. :salute
I carnt relax cos I havent done a thing and I carnt do a thing cos I carnt relax.

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2010, 05:10:51 PM »
But, but, we're talking about bombs my dear Ack-Ack.......   weren't we?

In 1942, chemistry professor Louis F. Fieser, along with his team at Harvard developed napalm.  They found that powdered aluminium soap of naphthalene with palmitate mixed with gasoline shot further out of flame throwers and burned slower at a higher temperature.

See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2010, 02:27:18 AM »
But, but, we're talking about bombs my dear Ack-Ack.......   weren't we?

And what was in those incendiary bombs?  Say it with me...N-A-P-A-L-M.  Well, after mid-1944 in any case, prior to that the fuel for flame throwers and incendiary bombs was a mixture of natural rubber and gasoline.  It was a shortage of rubber that lead to the development of napalm and after mid-1944 was used as the main component of incendiary bombs.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline fbEagle

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2010, 11:30:18 PM »
Just look how big these suckers were.
eh... we'l retrofit em so they fit on the stukas :)
<Insert witty remark here>

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2010, 11:31:21 PM »
eh... we'l retrofit em so they fit on the stukas :)

Welp, better get out my Jerry-rigging gear.
Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost
"Uncommon valor was a common virtue." <S>

Offline dud

• Zinc Member
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2010, 06:13:49 AM »
Another problem with napalm or incendiary bombs would be frame rate hits due to the flames and smoke, for us with crappy systems. The few burning towers we have now affect some systems, just imagine adding whole cities or bases on fire. I do like the idea but those of us with older systems are going to have some issues, unless we could turn it off.

Offline jolly22

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2010, 07:36:04 AM »
im always short of my target, so i wouldnt mind some bouncing bombs :)

3./JG 53 cheerleader - Battle Over The Winter Line - FLY AXIS - JRjolly