Author Topic: towns  (Read 884 times)

Offline Simba

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Re: towns
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2010, 04:33:34 PM »
As long as I can still bomb the blazes out of the hospital and orphanage from high altitude, I don't care.

But leave the Prophylactics Factory alone, we don't want the enemy to procreate.

;)
Simba
No.6 Squadron vRFC/RAF

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
Re: towns
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2010, 06:42:50 PM »
No one was hurt in any way. But I heard some underwear took it in the shorts.

They have since cut the trees down on approach to RW 35. Was always a pain in the ... if you were on the one side of the run up pad, you could not see 35 final.

HiTech

Found the report

NTSB Identification: DFW08LA144B
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Thursday, May 15, 2008 in Roanoke, TX
Probable Cause Approval Date: 1/29/2009
Aircraft: PIPER PA-28-161, registration: N8295X
Injuries: 3 Uninjured.

While landing, a low-wing airplane collided with a departing high-wing airplane. The high-wing airplane was on the takeoff roll and the low-wing airplane was in the landing flare when the collision occurred. Both airplanes came to rest upright on the runway with the low-wing airplane on top of the high-wing airplane. All three pilots were able to exit unassisted. The high-wing airplane was departing for a local flight and the low-wing airplane was on an instructional flight. The pilot of each airplane reported that they had transmitted their position/intentions on the common traffic control frequency (CTAF). In addition, the pilots reported not seeing the other airplane before the collision occurred. The runway's threshold was displaced 320-feet due to trees, which were approximately 50-feet tall, located just south and along the approach path. The pilot of each airplane reported that the trees contributing to the accident. According to 14 CFR 91.113, Right-of-way rules: Except water operations, "Aircraft, while on final approach to land or while landing, have the right-of-way over other aircraft in flight or operating on the surface, except that they shall not take advantage of this rule to force an aircraft off the runway surface which has already landed and is attempting to make way for an aircraft on final approach."

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:
The departing pilot's inadequate visual lookout. Contributing to the accident was the trees/visual obstructions along the runway’s approach path.

When I first looked at that picture I thought the piper's prop went though the stinson's cockpit. Good thing no one was injured.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s