Author Topic: sights  (Read 1874 times)

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
sights
« on: July 24, 2010, 07:19:04 PM »
how do i get them
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Re: sights
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 08:19:37 PM »
The Mk.VIII as used in the P-47D-25, all F4Us, the F6F, F4F/FM-2, TBM and SBD can be downloaded here:

http://vmf251-buccaneers.net/Media/Sights/MkVIII.zip

Just unzip the contents directly into your AH\Sights folder and it will set everything for those aircraft for you.

Several people are currently working on revising the other reticles to work with the game's new sight mechanics but I can't say when they'll be ready.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 08:40:46 PM »
The Mk.VIII as used in the P-47D-25, all F4Us, the F6F, F4F/FM-2, TBM and SBD can be downloaded here:

http://vmf251-buccaneers.net/Media/Sights/MkVIII.zip

Just unzip the contents directly into your AH\Sights folder and it will set everything for those aircraft for you.

Several people are currently working on revising the other reticles to work with the game's new sight mechanics but I can't say when they'll be ready.
thank you  :salute  ydo you know if theres more
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 09:22:08 PM »
The following is from the Aces High own Welcome Page under the Game menu and Help

Players may easily assign gunsights in Aces High by clicking Options->Preferences->Gunsights from the clipboard menu.  

Gunsights can be customized by editing the 64x64 default.bmp image in your ../HTC/Aces High/sights directory.  Gunsights can be created for specific planes and for different gunner positions.  When you enter a cockpit or gun position in the game, Aces High first looks for a custom sight and if one isn't found, the default.bmp is used.

Eventually they will put up more in the Gallery (currently empty!) There are lots of customised sights around and I use one of the simplest that gives an illuminated dot or two illuminated dots (second lower one for dive bomb aiming)

Appears in use as ---> 

When you use these the "black" area is transparent. You can copy the images into your sights folder and then select them in game via the clipboard
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 09:35:43 PM by Blagard »

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 09:49:48 PM »
Keep in mind that gunsight mechanics have changed ENTIRELY. So sights that worked before may not without some adjustments now.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 06:10:59 AM »
Keep in mind that gunsight mechanics have changed ENTIRELY. So sights that worked before may not without some adjustments now.

From what I can see the mechanics have improved how the sights work so that the size of the sight does not alter when the head is moved forward or backward. Introduction of "mils" simply means the size of the sights should now be easy to do and they will actually work in the game environment.

for olds442 who may not understand "mils" 1 mil equals 1 foot as seen at 1000 foot range, so a 30 mil ring sight equals a 30 foot ring at 1000 foot. If you are chasing a 30 foot wingspan fighter it will fill the 30 mil ring at 1000 foot (approx 333 yards).

Question for Saxman, - What was the purpose of the 100 mil sight linked to  :headscratch: The inner ring seems about 50 mil. It would be good if we could have some notes with such sights to understand historically, how they were intended to be used.

It was a nightmare writing the  my lines with the word "foot" as I was using "feet" as well as "foot" and it just didn't seem right, so I decided to stick with one.  :confused:

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 10:12:17 AM »
The rings were most likely both for ranging purposes.

The Mk.VIII sight was calibrated so that a target with a 30ft wingspan would fill the inner 50mil ring at a range of 200yds, and the outer 100mil ring at 100yds (by extension, an aircraft with a 60ft wingspan would fill these rings at 400 and 200yds, respectively).

I THINK this formula is correct for how it works:

(Distance in yards) = 1000 / 3 x (Object size in feet) / Mils

I tested it with both the 30ft and 60ft wingspans and it seems to hold up.

So consider the G4M with a wingspan of 80 ft. If you plug this size into the formula, the Betty would fill the 50mil ring at a range of ~533yds and the outer ring at ~266yds. The Zero with its 39ft wingspan would fill the two rings at 260 and 130yds, respectively.

The hash marks inside and below the rings (extending out to 150mil) are in 5mil increments. If you can estimate the target's range, speed, deflection angle, and flight time of your bullets, you could then use these hashes to determine how much lead you needed to give the target when shooting. The rings can help provide a quick visual shortcut for this rather than counting hash marks: You KNOW the 50mil ring has a radius of 25mil, so if you need to give the target 30mil of lead it would automatically follow to line the target up with the first hash below the 50mil ring (with the ring being at 25mil lead).

Once I can figure out what the formula is (I'm trying to find it. That's proving more difficult than the range calculation one) I'll work on putting up a lead chart for the Mk.VIII sight at various ranges and airspeeds.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 10:19:50 AM by Saxman »

Offline Imowface

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 02:23:50 AM »
Speaking of gunsights, does anyone on here make them, and if so, can I get the PBP-1B gunsight made? here is a pic
Ла-5 Пилот снова
NASA spent 12 million dollars to develop a pen that could work in space, Russia went to space with pencils...

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 07:03:56 AM »
AK Sights:

http://www.arabian-knights.org/files/Sketchworks_Gunsightspack_2009.zip

AK Historical sights:

www.arabian-knights.org/files/HistoricalSights.zip

Some real nice ones here, If you want the Historical just put the "sights" folder from the .zip or .rar into your AH folder no further work needed.
Strokes

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 08:13:24 AM »
My historical gunsight pack is currently under some checking for proper calibration (IE mils) due to the recent gunsight update.  U still can use them but they may not be calibrated currectly.  They are however as historical as I can get from the info I have found on them all.
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline Imowface

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 06:29:51 PM »
Big thanks for the Sights Stokes, before you posted this I was using a Crappy PBP-1B Sight that I made out of the Japanese sight with MS paint haha
Ла-5 Пилот снова
NASA spent 12 million dollars to develop a pen that could work in space, Russia went to space with pencils...

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 07:42:35 PM »
This is the one I have in the Historical gunsight pack.

This is before the fading and blending.

This is the final product.
www.arabian-knights.org/files/Dogg/SovietModelPBP-1.bmp

« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 07:46:10 PM by AKDogg »
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 08:00:02 PM »
Big thanks for the Sights Stokes, before you posted this I was using a Crappy PBP-1B Sight that I made out of the Japanese sight with MS paint haha

lol Thank Dogg!
Strokes

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 08:04:01 PM »
Looking at video and photos of the sights I wonder if the amount of bleed/fade is dependent on the strength of the bulb or power source, because I've seen a number images where the reticle is very clear with little bleed or fading (especially when considering multiple images of the same type of reticle). The most "correct" reticle appears to be one that's more in the yellow spectrum with a fairly sharp image, while a redder, more blurred image occurs when the sight is underpowered or fit with a bad bulb.

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 08:09:29 PM »
I agree saxman but when I had them as the first image, they appeared more white and grainy.  When I did the 2nd image and installed it in the game, they appeared almost perfect clarity and color.  At least on my screen.
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW