Author Topic: Upgrade help  (Read 633 times)

Offline wells

• Copper Member
Upgrade help
« on: October 03, 2000, 05:43:00 PM »
I just upgraded to a P3/500 from a P2/266.  I have an BE6-II MB with 64 MB of PC100 ram.  However, it freezes when I set bus speed to 100, so I'm only running at 333 Mhz (66 bus speed).  Someone mentioned to crank up the core voltage, but is that necessary?  I bought the CPU with the MB and it came with no documentation, so I have no idea what the voltage should be.  Any ideas?

Offline kbman

• Copper Member
Upgrade help
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2000, 06:14:00 PM »
Hi wells,
         No, it should'nt be at all necssary or even advisable to boost the core voltage to run at stock speed.The only reason you would boost core voltage is to gain stability when trying to overclock the chip.It may however be necessary to flash the BIOS to the latest rev in order for it to properly recognize the CPU,although if you purchased the Mobo and CPU as a unit you might think they would have done this already. The manual for your Mobo is available from the Abit site (dont have the URL handy,sorry) and that would be real helpful and a good place to start.

What settings are you using in the CPU SoftMenuII section of the BIOS. You should try using the User Define option then setting up all the parameters manually if it wont ID the chip properly with the default setup. Maik had a similar problem with his PIII 700(read his post below) and it turned out to be a bad RAM module. Are you positive that its actually PC100 RAM?

Get the manual, read it and try to determine that you have a recent BIOS rev and the right RAM and then post back and we'll try to get this straightened out. Good luck!

kbman

Offline wells

• Copper Member
Upgrade help
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2000, 06:27:00 PM »
I have softmenuIII, so I'm sure it's the latest.  I tried manually setting it up.  No, I'm not positive that it's PC100 ram (although the guy who sold it to me said it was), although it does the memory test a HELL of alot faster than it did before!  I have the manual for the board, but nothing for the CPU, they just threw it in a bag and taped it to the mobo box...hehe  krex.com  

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Upgrade help
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2000, 10:15:00 AM »
I have the BE6 with a 500 p3. The default setting (auto?)sets it up correctly -automatically (SoftMenu). No problems. Switch out ur ram, then ur cpu, then ur mb. Process of elimination at this point. Should fly without you having to touch settings.
gl
Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Strega_Mskt

Upgrade help
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2000, 03:28:00 PM »
I got 3 yes 3 bad Abit boards from Krex!! They could not get the cpu config right no matter what. They also sent older boards when I specifically asked for rev 2

Offline wells

• Copper Member
Upgrade help
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2000, 05:03:00 PM »
After running the hardware doctor utility, I found that my CPU was running too hot!  I looked at my fan and I think the heatsink wasn't in good contact.  My CPU is pretty stable now at 110 C (500 Mhz) with no freezes yet (after 7 minutes) and it runs around 82C at 333 Mhz no probs.

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
Upgrade help
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2000, 08:00:00 PM »
Jeez you sure about them temperatures ???
Your talking above boiling point here ???
IF ? its correct i reckon you need to do some serious cooling pretty quick.
The AMD Tbirds are supposed to run very hot and if i clock my 850 to 1050 it still only reaches 55 deg C.
Note to self "order 1 big bellybutton new heat sink"

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Upgrade help
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2000, 10:05:00 PM »
You MUST mean 110 F.  110C would quite literally turn that expensive chunk of silicon into an electrical sponge.  Besides, the maximum temperature for a coppermine is 70C.  (Semiconductors work backwards, resistance goes down as temperature goes up.)

If it is F, then that is actually pretty good.  I just put a HUGE heatsink on my Tbird and it now runs at 120F.

------------------
bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS

Offline wells

• Copper Member
Upgrade help
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2000, 11:10:00 PM »
Nope, it was reading in Celcius!  Turns out my heatsink wasn't making very good contact, so I had to 'modify' the clamp.  It's reading 66 now...whew...

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
Upgrade help
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2000, 04:33:00 AM »
Hmmmm - bizarre temperatures there wells - I'm running 600e at 38C on average, may go as high up as 44C when I run something like AH... And I stuck the sensor as close as I could to the CPU...

Btw, I can mail you a little DOS-based utility that tells you who made your memory and what spec it is.

------------------
lynx
13 Sqn RAF

Offline bashwolf

• Copper Member
      • http://www.fly.to/airwolves
Upgrade help
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2000, 12:12:00 PM »
hiya Lynx can you email me that Dos utility i am going to build system and like to know if i can use this Ram i have on old system.  its Bash2@hotmail.com

Thank you

Bash

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Upgrade help
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2000, 02:17:00 PM »
Same here, please!

Westy@aceshighcs.com

Thanks, if you can send it on -lynx-.

-Westy

Offline maik

• Nickel Member