Author Topic: Once Again  (Read 505 times)

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
Once Again
« on: November 06, 2010, 01:24:59 PM »
Norton has proven to be a bloated, slow moving and utterly useless piece of software. Not only does it impede on my ability to fly Aces high, but it has also let several viruses in. (That little green check mark when googling things means nothing, apparently the viruses on BBall stat sites are too powerful for name-brand anti-viruses :noid) So does anyone know a great anti-virus that allows one to run free scans so I can at least see what I have? Thanks in advance. <S>
Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost
"Uncommon valor was a common virtue." <S>

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Once Again
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 01:47:24 PM »
I run Avira. Even tho I'm very carefull what I do, and where I go, it's caught a few nasties.

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 11:11:48 AM »
I use Avast.  Supposedly not the best out there, but definitely not the worst either.  I can probably credit good browsing habits just as much (if not more) than the A/V as for having a good track record with me, but Avast is maintenance free and doesn't seem to get in the way of anything.

Norton used to be very good, but the last couple of versions I tried installing were so intrusive and had so many things running, it just wasn't worth it...

Offline MonkGF

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 11:12:45 AM »
Windows 7 + standard user + Microsoft Security Essentials.
-- Greg Stelmack
-- Ex-AW pilot, Gunfighters Squadron

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 11:20:29 AM »
threatfire (free version) + microsoft security essentials + malewarebytes (free version only installed once a week to do a fresh check and then uninstalled) PSI used to keep all programs security patched, all windows updates current by using microsoft baseline security analyzer. i do all updates and scans on a weekly basis minimum.

good luck
FLOTSOM

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
Quote from Skuzzy
"The game is designed to encourage combat, not hide from it."
http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 03:25:35 PM »
Do mean as an interim step to ensuring that you've cleaned up the current infections, or as a permanent A/V solution? (2 different answers)

<S>
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 09:16:21 PM »
Just to make sure the system is clean, but once the subscription runs out, rest assured I will purchase a different A/V. Preferrably Kaspersky, as I have used that one before with fantastic results.
Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost
"Uncommon valor was a common virtue." <S>

Offline Silat

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 03:10:15 AM »
Sandboxie for all your surfing needs..............
+Silat
"The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them." — Maya Angelou
"Conservatism offers no redress for the present, and makes no preparation for the future." B. Disraeli
"All that serves labor serves the nation. All that harms labor is treason."