Author Topic: Are all simmers limp wristed girly men?  (Read 608 times)

lazs

Are all simmers limp wristed girly men?
« on: October 31, 2000, 12:18:00 PM »
Just wore out the last of my TM PFCS joysticks....  Ok, so what do I use now?   Every stick I've tried has springs weaker than those found in most ball point pens.

I would like to keep my ch pro throttle and TM rudders.   I just ordered a CH Combatstick to get me by till something with some springs in it comes out that is of decent quality but I know from past use that the springs will be frustratingly weak on the combatstick.   Why doesn't CH either make a stick with some springs in it or at least with adjustablew spring tension?  
lazs

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2000, 12:43:00 PM »
 You can open the base (which unfortunaely can void your warranty) and augment the internal springs with rubber O-rings.

-Westy

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2000, 01:01:00 PM »
Use the TM F22 here    What's dead on your PFCS?  I just busted a gimbal on my F22, which leaves me with an extra spring...it seems to me the later version of the PFCS used the same springs.  If that's what you need, let me know and I'll send it to ya.

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

lazs

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2000, 01:11:00 PM »
SOB.. the pots are worn out I have an F22 that is brand new in the box but it doesn't hook up the same as the old PFCS.   Way more connections and a manual tha is huge..  Plus, the stick is very clumsy looking and ya can't buy em anymore anyway so even if I spend a day getting it set up it will do the TM dive soon enough and then I will be looking to change brands again anyhow..   Do you need a new F22?

westy, i will look into augmenting the CH (cough) "springs" when the stick comes in.   Perhaps CH offers some sort of reverse exercise program that can weaken a persons wrist?
lazs

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2000, 01:21:00 PM »
Lazs,

How old is your stick? Ch warantees them for 3 years. Send it in and let them rebuild it. Ask them to test it for spiking while you're at it.  

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

lazs

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2000, 03:25:00 PM »
mav, i don't have a ch stick yet.   I have about a half dozen worn out TM PFCS.  
lazs

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2000, 10:35:00 PM »
Lazs,

Sorry to hear that. I have a brand new TM top gun platinum I can't use as it won't interface with my TM rudder pedals unless I buy a game card with 2 game ports.

Get the CH stuff, quick delivery from Egghead.com and good customer service.

Good luck...

Mav

[This message has been edited by Maverick (edited 10-31-2000).]
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2000, 03:11:00 AM »

Originally posted by lazs:
Do you need a new F22?

Of course...always looking for more to keep for parts, and I'll have a second computer here shortly.  Whaddya want for it?  Email me at matt@hoffman.org

If you don't mind fixing your PFCS and all that's wrong with it is the pots, they're easy enough to replace.  All ya need is a wrench, a soldering iron or a friend with a soldering iron, and a couple of new pots.  You can get a new set of pots from Guillemot (owns ThrustMaster now) at https://shop.guillemot.com/cgi-bin/gishop.storefront/202093799/ChangeLanguage/NO   Just select Joystick Potentiometers from the Repair Kits menu.  These pots will work with the later models of the PFCS...the ones using a offset geared pot setup.  If your PFCS has a rubber boot, then it's uses these new pots.  Some without the rubber boot did too.

SOB

[This message has been edited by SOB (edited 11-01-2000).]
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

-lazs-

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2000, 08:16:00 AM »
Ok, ordered a wimpy, limp wristed CH combatstick to get me by till they have all digital USB stuff.   Hopefully, they will add some kind of larger springs or adjustable tension at that time or.... I will be able to do some kind of "O" ring fix a-la westy.

I just can't believe that TM was the only stick maker out there with heavy enough springs for an adult male.
lazs

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2000, 11:20:00 AM »
 I'll try and find out what guage the O-rings are.  I'd saved a copy of the post on usenet that initially caught my interest. That and a friend who verified and enthusiasticly like the addition when he did it for an unbiased opinion..

-Westy