Author Topic: Shadow  (Read 492 times)

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
Shadow
« on: December 03, 2010, 03:02:36 AM »
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Dr_Death8

• Nickel Member
Re: Shadow
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 04:03:14 PM »
So CrazyIvan thinks asbatt and Zazen are one and the same?? :eek:

They are probably gonna need map and location. I take it your pointing out how fragmented the shadows look on the buildings?  :salute

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 04:14:16 PM »
MachFly I was tanking into a field just yesterday and noticed that if the shadow of my tank was cast upon the buildings not only did the building go transparent (see-through) and the shadows did like yours in this image... but also the impact point of the rounds could not be seen at all. It was impossible to range unless I was shooting an area of the field that did not have my tanks shadow cast upon it.

You can see how the shadow in this image hangs over the edge of the hill. From the gunner position it covers my target area and thats what caused the problem. Turning off shadows fixed the problem.

If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 04:48:33 PM »
MachFly I was tanking into a field just yesterday and noticed that if the shadow of my tank was cast upon the buildings not only did the building go transparent (see-through) and the shadows did like yours in this image... but also the impact point of the rounds could not be seen at all. It was impossible to range unless I was shooting an area of the field that did not have my tanks shadow cast upon it.

You can see how the shadow in this image hangs over the edge of the hill. From the gunner position it covers my target area and thats what caused the problem. Turning off shadows fixed the problem.

(Image removed from quote.)

Fascinating...

Ever notice if you go God's Eye into a building, for the most part it evaporates or disappears unless the building has an interior such as the ready room below the tower, the tower itself and hanger?

I was goofing around in God's Eye mode the other day trying to find the restroom with Skuzzy's name scrawled on the wall...(that's another story)...

I wonder if this behavior is connected with the one you describe..pertaining to shadows...

Curious: Question?

If you turn off the self shadows does it go away?

Oneway

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 04:53:05 PM »
Yes thats what I just said.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 05:22:22 PM »
Yes thats what I just said.

It would appear that your 'shadow' is the same as your spatial presence when circumventing the whole "collisions on" setting by flying via god's eye off line..

I bet ya this issue is related for sure...

Try casting your shadow on the indestructible hanger element...the one where you can set convergence etc...if it does not disappear as you described afore...that would confirm it...

Just a guess based on your observation and my limited poking and probing...

Out

Oneway

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 08:20:31 PM »
No it only has the effect when the entire object is covered by the shadow. Weird.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 09:41:07 PM »
It was at A30 on this map:

I don't remember the official name.

I sow thous shadows for a few seconds as I was going after that jug (yes, he died), so I did not get a chance to play around with the graphics settings.

P.S. Harpoon, I hope you don't mind me borrowing your picture.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 09:47:45 PM by MachFly »
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 09:44:35 PM »
So CrazyIvan thinks asbatt and Zazen are one and the same?? :eek:

They are probably gonna need map and location. I take it your pointing out how fragmented the shadows look on the buildings?  :salute

Yeah I was referring to the shadows, did not even notice what cazyivan was typing  :rofl
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 09:21:37 AM »
It was at A30 on this map:
(Image removed from quote.)
I don't remember the official name.

I sow thous shadows for a few seconds as I was going after that jug (yes, he died), so I did not get a chance to play around with the graphics settings.

P.S. Harpoon, I hope you don't mind me borrowing your picture.

The "official" name of each map is located in the top right corner. If this picture was a bit better.... or my eyes were a bit better  :neener: .. You could read the SFMA in the corner. Just a FYI   :aok

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 12:01:30 PM »
I sow this again on the same map at A1. Have closer pictures this time if needed.
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn