Author Topic: Weather?  (Read 598 times)

Offline FYB

• Silver Member
Weather?
« on: November 28, 2010, 02:10:01 PM »
So JOACH1M's thread, and MachFly's post got me thinking... Wouldn't it be cool to have weather? I'm not talking about fancy weather like lighting, I mean snow on the runway, planes and vehicles.

Gotta wonder, would FR drop for some people?

I searched up the word "weather" and all it had was AH General Discussion, but i still vaguely remember a wish thread for weather.
Most skill based sport? -
The sport of understanding women.

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
Re: Weather?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 02:15:50 PM »
So JOACH1M's thread, and MachFly's post got me thinking... Wouldn't it be cool to have weather? I'm not talking about fancy weather like lighting, I mean snow on the runway, planes and vehicles.

Gotta wonder, would FR drop for some people?

I searched up the word "weather" and all it had was AH General Discussion, but i still vaguely remember a wish thread for weather.
Yes make it a side click for those who's frame rate who can take it, and those who cannot just won't have it.
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
      • http://www.71sqn.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 02:53:38 PM »
Unfortunatly, I don't think it could work with a selective button. If it snows or rains or is overcast, you would need clouds. Clouds would need to be modeled for everyone so that no one has an advantage. Those people who don't have a powerful enough machine to run weather still get a FR hit for the clouds.
seeds have been laid...but they arent trees we're growing. we're growing organic grenades!- 321BAR
I'd have a better chance in running into a Dodo Bird in the middle of rush hour, walking down the I-5 with two hookers in tow before I see a useful post from glock89- Ack-Ack

Offline FYB

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 04:17:57 PM »
Unfortunatly, I don't think it could work with a selective button. If it snows or rains or is overcast, you would need clouds. Clouds would need to be modeled for everyone so that no one has an advantage. Those people who don't have a powerful enough machine to run weather still get a FR hit for the clouds.
True. That's what i was worried about, but there can always be some snow around, nobody has to know how it got there.  ;)

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 04:21:57 PM »
Also some winds would be nice, thous should not effect frame rate.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 04:43:20 PM »
@FYB: I agree Snow in places of the map would be a great idea. It would add a bit more variation to the pure lush green 25°C summer all the time. I know it can be added onto the map, it is merely HT saying we can't have it that is the problem.

@Machfly: Far as I have heard, the wind model in AH is rather... dubious shall we say. I am in no place to make an accurate statement as I am no map maker and have no idea about setting it up, maybe one of the SEA guys can pop their heads in and put a better statement in.
seeds have been laid...but they arent trees we're growing. we're growing organic grenades!- 321BAR
I'd have a better chance in running into a Dodo Bird in the middle of rush hour, walking down the I-5 with two hookers in tow before I see a useful post from glock89- Ack-Ack

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 04:56:13 PM »
+1 :aok
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 05:01:19 PM »
@Machfly: Far as I have heard, the wind model in AH is rather... dubious shall we say. I am in no place to make an accurate statement as I am no map maker and have no idea about setting it up, maybe one of the SEA guys can pop their heads in and put a better statement in.

That's easy, just got to go into the arena setting set the altitude, wind speed, and heading. Can be done under 30 seconds.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 05:04:54 PM »
I'm aware it can be done, I was more meaning the accuracy of the modeling. I have heard that it is not that great a model, however as I have stated, I have never come across it, so I'm not very sure. The SEA guys use it a bit so it would be interesting to find out what their opinion on it is

Offline HB555

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 05:37:14 PM »
Wind in the SEA's and off line, can be set at 2,000 foot elevations from ground level to 30,000 feet and above.
Any speed from 0 to 127 can be input, as well as any of 8 directions, N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, W, and NW.
Each 2,000 foot layer can be set to have differing directions and speeds.
Up drafts and down drafts can also be input by using the rise (+ or -).
We have used some wind in various scenarios over the years, most memorable was having to turn carriers into the wind to take off and land, or you would either over shoot or get blown sideways off the deck. Others have had wind at altitude to make bombing more difficult.
We have also used it sparingly in the Aces High eXtreme Air Racing League to make it a bit harder to fly through hangers, or to eliminate an autopilot being used to get from point A to Point B, as the wind would blow you off course.
I just read where the AvA has used it on occasion, as well, and a recent FSO had a 5 MPH breeze all the way down to the deck.
It may not be a perfect model, but it is useful and brings a different degree of difficulty to any event in which it is used.

As far as weather goes, different cloud files have been loaded for certain events, and there was a couple of terrains that used snow tiles, although there was no snow on vehicles, planes etc., there was snow on some buildings, the ground, and some trees. These terrains are for SEA and off line use, not for the MAs, and are currently undergoing upgrades to fit in, and work, better with the newest AH versions. They will be back eventually.
Snoopy Bell

HB555 A gentleman, with a school boys heart, and crazy enough to think he is a cartoon dog.

Offline FYB

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 06:46:06 PM »
Wind in the SEA's and off line, can be set at 2,000 foot elevations from ground level to 30,000 feet and above.
Any speed from 0 to 127 can be input, as well as any of 8 directions, N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, W, and NW.
Each 2,000 foot layer can be set to have differing directions and speeds.
Up drafts and down drafts can also be input by using the rise (+ or -).
We have used some wind in various scenarios over the years, most memorable was having to turn carriers into the wind to take off and land, or you would either over shoot or get blown sideways off the deck. Others have had wind at altitude to make bombing more difficult.
We have also used it sparingly in the Aces High eXtreme Air Racing League to make it a bit harder to fly through hangers, or to eliminate an autopilot being used to get from point A to Point B, as the wind would blow you off course.
I just read where the AvA has used it on occasion, as well, and a recent FSO had a 5 MPH breeze all the way down to the deck.
It may not be a perfect model, but it is useful and brings a different degree of difficulty to any event in which it is used.

As far as weather goes, different cloud files have been loaded for certain events, and there was a couple of terrains that used snow tiles, although there was no snow on vehicles, planes etc., there was snow on some buildings, the ground, and some trees. These terrains are for SEA and off line use, not for the MAs, and are currently undergoing upgrades to fit in, and work, better with the newest AH versions. They will be back eventually.
Sounds good to me. I was just wondering and sense Christmas is around the corner I though I'd ask.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 07:09:15 PM »
*coughAVAhasweatherquiteoftencough* 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 07:19:15 PM »
Thank you HB. I knew one of you would be around to correct me. As I have said, I have had no dealings either with setting wind, or flying in it, so I am totally in the dark.