Author Topic: Problem with downloading Offline missions  (Read 826 times)

Offline DannyS

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.youtube.com/user/77Pacer
Problem with downloading Offline missions
« on: October 25, 2010, 10:30:53 AM »
Help! I'm struggling 2 try 2 download the offline missions correctly, but instead of the proper file type, Windows Internet Explorer always saves it as an "HTML" file rather than a "res" file or a "mis" file. Is there any way I can fix this?
Daniel Christopher Symski

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
Re: Problem with downloading Offline missions
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 11:27:02 AM »
Help! I'm struggling 2 try 2 download the offline missions correctly, but instead of the proper file type, Windows Internet Explorer always saves it as an "HTML" file rather than a "res" file or a "mis" file. Is there any way I can fix this?

Hi Danny. This is a common problem.

Full details for fixing it can be found here:

http://techvideoreview.com/FlightSimMovies/AcesHigh/Ah2Missions/PeabodySimple/PeabodySimpleMissionPage01Full.htm

Watch the first movie on that page, entitled "Introduction to Aces High Offline Missions, Part 1: Downloading and Installing Offline Missions". Commencing 4 minutes and 30 seconds into that Youtube movie you'll see EXACTLY how I used a DOS command window to rename the file for compatibility with Aces High.

I hope this helps.

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 10:01:53 AM »
Sorry, watched the video a dozen times. Even managed to bring up MS DOS, etc but simply cannot get it to work. There has to be a better way then becoming a computer programmer. Any other suggestions?
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 09:24:10 AM »
Sorry, watched the video a dozen times. Even managed to bring up MS DOS, etc but simply cannot get it to work. There has to be a better way then becoming a computer programmer. Any other suggestions?

I'm very sorry to hear of your difficulties. Perhaps you might enjoy this process better if you  have a friend that is familiar with the process of renaming files in spite of Windows tendency to hide filename extensions. You'll need to tell your friend to find files with names like:

mission1.htm

and rename them to

mission1.res

He must avoid creating names like this:

mission1.htm.res or mission1.res.htm

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 10:00:21 AM »
Thanks, I have a friend who can probably do it though he is deployed right now.
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton